The University of Michigan-Flint (UM-Flint) was established in 1956 as Flint College, a senior college (and complement to Mott Community College), and earned North Central Association of Colleges and Schools accreditation in 1970. It officially became the University of Michigan-Flint in 1971, evolving in accordance with the needs of the Flint community it was established to serve. Over time, the university continued to grow in size and academic program offerings, including establishment of selected graduate programs. Originally a commuter school, UM-Flint offered its first residential options in 2008. Today, the campus offers the full range of resources of a comprehensive university in a small, supportive campus community with approximately 7,500 students, representing as many as 41 countries. UM-Flint’s mission continues to address the needs of the regional community it serves in the context of a global society.