November 14, 2019
First, we wish to extend our appreciation to all of you who participated in the site visit on November 4 and 5. To all students, faculty, and staff who came to open forums, drop-in sessions, and the focus area sessions: you truly represented the university with a great deal of poise. Your intelligent comments reflected well on the university, and you greatly helped the site visit team understand the University of Michigan-Flint. Thank you all for having given your valuable time to collaborate and contribute to this effort!
Of course, we have now completed our site visit, and this update is posted to inform you of the remainder of the process of the Comprehensive Evaluation for Reaffirmation of our accreditation.
As you may know, the Assurance Argument and Federal Compliance Report were submitted in early October. Shortly after that, the HLC peer evaluation team read our argument and worked on their report. Questions naturally arose during this time period, and these questions helped the HLC team determine their final agenda for November 4 and 5.
From that point forward, the process works as follows:
- Within two weeks of the site visit, the HLC team chair sends a draft copy of their report to the Chancellor and the university’s Accreditation Liaison Officer (ALO).
- The university is given one week to correct factual errors in the report, which are sent by the ALO to the HLC team chair.
- The HLC team makes the factual corrections and sends a final draft to the university and to the Higher Learning Commission’s Institutional Action Council (IAC).
- The university is allowed to compose a response to the final report if we have disagreements with or other responses to the team’s conclusions; we will send our response to the IAC.
- The IAC meets and examines the team’s report and the university’s response. Subsequently, the IAC issues a final judgment on our reaffirmation, including whether any subsequent reporting is required on the part of the university. Official notification of our reaffirmation status is sent to us at that point.
We are currently at the second process in the above list: we have received the team’s draft and are working to correct factual errors. More information will be posted as the process allows.