Information for International Guest Students

The University of Michigan-Flint welcomes undergraduate and graduate students from the following institutions to complete up to two-major semesters (Fall and/or Winter) at the University of Michigan-Flint.  Bilteral Exchange and Hosting programs allow undergraduate and graduate students to study in at University of Michigan-Flint as a Guest Student for up to two academic terms, while receiving credit towards their home university degree.

Bilateral Student Exchange Program

Tuition and fees at UM-Flint are waived for incoming exchange students in accordance with the exchange agreement between UM-Flint and the partner institution and/or department/faculty. Students are expected to pay living expenses while in Flint. These include housing, meals, books, local transportation, health insurance, and other personal expenses. 

Institution City, Country Areas of Study Available at UM-Flint

Alexandru Ioan Cuza University 

Iasi, Romania

Undergraduate & Graduate Courses in the School of Management

Avans University of Applied Sciences

Breda, Netherlands

Undergraduate Social Work in the the School of Education and Human Services

Burgundy School of Business

Dijon, France

Undergraduate & Graduate Courses in the School of Management

Hasselt University

Hasselt, Belgium

Undergraduate & Graduate Courses in the School of Management

Japan Center for Michigan Universities 

Hikone, Japan

All courses upon approval

Kozminski University

Warsaw, Poland

Undergraduate & Graduate Courses in the School of Management

Montpellier Business School  Montpellier, France Undergraduate & Graduate Courses in the School of Management

Romanian American University

Bucharest, Romania

Undergraduate & Graduate Courses in the School of Management

Universidad ESAN Lima, Peru Undergraduate & Graduate Courses in the School of Management

University of Gothenburg 

Gothenburg, Sweden

Undergraduate & Graduate Courses in the School of Management

University of Helsinki

Helsinki, Finland

Undergraduate & Graduate Courses in the School of Education and Human Services

University of Ljubjana - Faculty of Economics

Ljubjana, Slovenia

Undergraduate & Graduate Courses n the School of Management

University of Wuppertal

Wuppertal, Germany

Undergraduate & Graduate Courses in the School of Management

Undergraduate & Graduate Courses in the College of Arts and Sciences


Zagreb School of Economics & Management 

Zagreb, Croatia

Undergraduate & Graduate Courses in the School of Management

International Hosted Student Program

Through it's International Student Hosting Program, the University of Michigan-Flint's School of Management (SOM) and College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) welcome guest students from affilliated foreign universities to enroll for up to one year study. Qualified guest students from the following universities are eligible to receive a scholarship while enrolled in undergraduate or graduate courses at University of Michigan-Flint.

  • Beijing Jiaotong University, Beijing
  • Dongbei University of Finance and Economics, Dalian
  • Kwangwoon University, Seoul
  • Chinese Culture University, Taipei
  • Tamkang University, New Taipei City
  • Tunghai University, Taichung City

Important: Download the General Rules Regarding Course Selection for J-1 Exchange Students

Overview of Application & Enrollment Process

  1. Determine if you meet the eligibility requirements to participate in the International Hosted Student Program by consulting with your international or academic department and view courses offered at University of Michigan-Flint 
  2. Submit all requested documents to UM-Flint and complete all required steps at your home campus
  3. When you receive the admission packet from UM-Flint, register for courses approved on your Learning Agreement with your UM-Flint login information
  4. Apply for a visa at the nearest U.S. embassy/consulate
  5. Apply for housing at UM-Flint at either 1st Street Residence Hall or Riverfront Residence Hall
  6. Arrive to UM-Flint in time to attend International Student Orientation
  7. At the end of the semester, request for your UM-Flint transcript to be sent to your home university

Application Items

As part of your application to the University of Michigan-Flint, you are required to submit: 

  • Learning Agreement
  • Official University Transcript
  • Original Proof of English Proficiency 
  • Copy of Bachelor's Degree (graduate applicants only)
  • Copy of Passport
  • Affidavit of Financial Support
  • Original Bank Statement(s)

All items must be in English and submitted online by the specified application deadline in M-Flint WorldLink. 

Proof of English Proficiency

All exchange students are required to meet the minimum English proficiency requirements of UM-Flint. Visit to view current requirements. 

Courses & Registration

To view the courses offered in the semester(s) which you intend to study at UM-Flint, please visit Also review the General Rules Regarding Courses for J-1 Exchange Students

After you have decided which courses you would like to take at UM-Flint, you should complete an online Learning Agreement with and submit with with the rest of your application. An advisor or academic coordinator at UM-Flint will review the Learning Agreement, provide feedback regarding availability of courses, and notify you when the Learning Agreement has been approved. If a course is not available or approved, other options will be provided.

Follow the instructions to log into the UM-Flint Student Information System (SIS) and register for the courses indicated on the approved Learning Agreement.

There is a student quota permitted per class and if you wait to register too late, the classes will get full and you will be unable to enroll in the course. As soon as you receive your acceptance packet, register online for the courses approved on your Learning Agreement. It is your responsibility to register for the courses at a timely manner.

Students may be permitted to register for courses outside of the courses included in the exchange agreement. You will need to discuss this option with your home university to verify transferability of courses. Any courses you register for outside of the courses included in the exchange agreement will be charged to your student account at the out-of-state tuition rate.

Visa Information

Upon acceptance to UM-Flint, students will receive an admission letter, as well as a DS-2019, which is the document used to apply for a J-1 visa. Students should for a J-1 visa at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. 

Health Insurance 

Healthcare in the United States is very expensive. To deter those costs, the University of Michigan and the University of Michigan-Flint requires all F-1 and J-1 international students to have health insurance coverage throughout the duration of their studies in the U.S. Visit Health Insurance to determine most current rates. For exchange students, this amount is charged at one time to the student’s account at the beginning of each semester.

If you have insurance that is comparable to the Aetna Health Insurance, you can request to waive out of Aetna Health Insurance when you arrive to the US. If you plan to purchase alternative insurance from your home country, please make sure your policy will meet the standards provided in Aetna Health Insurance before you purchase it as many policies do not meet these requirements. Also, please remember that the Aetna Health Insurance plan changes from time to time and so do the requirements for the approval of insurance waivers. Therefore, insurance that was acceptable in prior years may not be acceptable this year.

Please visit Health Insurance Waiver to view coverage information and waiver information. Incoming exchange students may bring proof of alternative insurance, as well as detailed benefits information when they arrive to Flint.


The University of Michigan-Flint offers accommodation for exchange students at the First Street Residence Hall or the Riverfront Residence Hall. Single, double or triple rooms are available and are furnished, with beds, desks, and tables. Basic furnishings such as chairs and sofas are also provided. Rates vary depending on room choice.

There are additional room options and costs will vary based on room choice. 

Living Costs

Students can expect to spend approximately $1,100 - $1,607 per month depending on accommodations and lifestyle. Estimated monthly expenses include: 

  • Accommodation: $679 - $1300 per month, depending on room choice 
  • Meals: $370 per month 
  • Local transportation: $50 per month
  • Health Insurance: $125.25 per month
  • Personal expenses: $113 - $250 per month, depending on personal lifestyle 

Students can also expect to spend approximately $375 - $600 per semester on books and educational supplies.

Arriving to Flint

Airport. The local airport in Flint is called Flint Bishop International Airport (FNT). You can take a domestic flight from an international arrival city to Bishop International Airport. Most students arrive from overseas into Chicago or Detroit, and take a connection to Flint. The International Center (IC) at UM-Flint offers airport pickup services for students arriving into Flint Bishop International Airport. 

Check-In at Mandatory International Student Orientation. Federal regulations require that you register your presence at the University by completing international student check-in procedures. This entails participating in International Student Orientation. Please bring the following items with you to orientation

  • Passport with visa
  • DS-2019
  • UMID#