The University of Michigan-Flint aspires to be a community of scholars and learners dedicated to engaging minds and preparing leaders.
In support of the University’s vision of engaging minds and preparing leaders, the Thompson Library creates a student-centered environment that fosters learning and academic achievement by providing access to authoritative sources of knowledge and information and by teaching critical information literacy skills and concepts.
- We will treat all library users with courtesy, professionalism, and respect.
- We are committed to the free exchange of ideas and will provide our users with a collection that reflects a wide range of views and schools of thought.
- We will work with instructional faculty to engage students in the academic research process.
- We will provide instructional faculty with access to the information sources they need for their academic research.
- We will buy materials and licenses primarily to support student learning and classroom instruction and assignments, secondarily to support faculty research.
- We will supplement local resources by working collaboratively with other libraries in order to leverage assets more effectively on behalf of our users, particularly in support of faculty research.
- We will provide our users with academic information resources in the formats most effective for instruction and research.
- We will create an environment that appeals to students and that facilitates learning.
- We will minimize obstacles, complexities and stress for library users.
- We will regularly inform faculty and students of the library's resources and services.
- We will teach information literacy concepts and skills to students.
- We will support instructional faculty scholarship by providing access to information resources.
- We will collaborate with colleagues on the Ann Arbor and Dearborn campuses, particularly with the University Library, Kresge Business Administration Library, and Mardigian Library, in order to achieve the library’s mission.
- We will construct our on-site collection and array of licensed databases to support classroom instruction and student research. We will support faculty research with on-site and licensed resources as our budget permits, but primarily through the Ann Arbor research collections and interlibrary loan service.
- Library faculty and staff will be actively engaged with the campus community to support achievement of the University's mission.
- We will actively support development and student and faculty recruitment activities.
Endorsed: Thompson Library Faculty: 27 November 2007; Library Committee: 14 December 2007