Frequently Asked Questions



Do I have to be a music major or audition to participate in performing groups?


Not at all. University Chorale, Wind Symphony, Jazz Ensemble, and some chamber music groups are open to all UM-F students without audition. Chamber Singers, Jazz Combo, and Steelheads Percussion Ensemble require auditions, but are open to students of all majors - not just music majors.

Does a performing group count as fine arts credit for general education?


How long will it take me to earn a degree in music?


Well, it all depends on you. If you are a full-time student and able to take a few courses in Spring and Summer semesters, you can earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in four years. If you are a full-time student and able to take a few courses in Spring and Summer semesters, you can earn a Bachelor of Music Education degree in about four and one-half years. If you are not able to be a full-time student, you can still earn your degree by enrolling as a part-time student.  Please consult the student resource page for information about typical music schedules.

What is the audition procedure at UM-Flint and when do they take place?

If you would like to audition to be a music major, minor (including Musical Theater), or applied music student, please consult the admissions and audition page for all the details.

I want to be a music major. Will credits from other colleges transfer?

Provided that you earned a grade of B- or better, your music credits will transfer.  In order to transfer to UM-Flint, you will need to perform an audition, take music history and music theory placement tests, and then work out a plan to finish your degree at UM-Flint.  This plan must be worked out with a music professor, not with anyone in the Advising Center or Admissions offices.  The procedure for music students transferring to UM-Flint is the same procedure that is used by UM-Ann Arbor, MSU, WMU, and other degree-granting institutions accredited with the National Association of Schools of Music.
There is nothing strange about UM-Flint's transfer policy - we welcome transfer students!

How does my AP course work in music theory transfer to UM-Flint?

So, you took AP music theory?  That was good planning for further music study! 
All music students coming into UM-Flint take the music theory placement test to determine which music theory course is right for their respective levels of music theory knowledge.  Sometimes students who have passed AP music theory classes pass into the second level of music theory at UM-Flint, and sometimes they do not.
The music theory test asks for responses to questions about intervals, key signatures, clefs, chord qualities, chord progressions, four-part harmonic analyses, and four-part choral-style writing - all basic materials of beginning music theory.

To whom should I direct my other questions?


Please email the office at or email an ensemble director directly.