Is orientation mandatory?

Yes. Orientation at the University of Michigan-Flint is a required program designed to facilitate a smooth transition to UM-Flint and assist you in making the most of your college experience. A non-refundable $50 Orientation fee is added to all transfer students' tutition bill.

Why do I need to take placement exams?

Placement exams may or may not be required depending on your transferred credits. If required, you may complete placement exams online in Blackboard. Placement exams determine what courses students can take and should be taken seriously. Placement exams should be completed before your orientation session, preferably two weeks before. Without them, you may not be able to register for a full load of classes.

How do I log in to Blackboard, email, or SIS?

You can log into all of the university’s online resources using your Uniqname and LAN password. Visit for links to each site.

When and where is Orientation?

Sessions vary by time and location. Check here for a list of dates and information on how to register in SIS. If you are already registered and want to check your date, or to reschedule your session, log in to SIS and choose register or reschedule for orientation under the New Students Start Here tab.

What should I wear/bring to orientation?

During the session we will be walking around campus so be sure to wear comfortable shoes and dress casually. You should also bring a driver’s license, passport, or government issued photo-ID.

Can I bring my parents and/or guests to orientation?

Guests are welcome to attend, but we ask you to please keep it to no more than two guests only; space may be limited.

Where can I find driving directions and where do I park for orientation?

Parking is available in Lot A for orientation, no permit required. Visit for an interactive map and for driving directions or you can use the following GPS address to find the parking lot:

Lot A:  181 E Boulevard Dr, Flint, MI 48503

* Please be aware of there is construction in the area on campus

When do I register for courses?

You can register for courses once open registration begins. You can find out when you are able to register for classes in SIS under “check your registration status.” There is an opportunity to meet with an advisor at orientation; however, you may not want to wait until then because courses fill up quickly. For more information contact your academic advisor.

Who is my Academic Advisor?

You need to talk to your Academic Advisor to make a plan for the entire year before you can register for classes.

Log in to SIS and choose the Student Services tab. Once there, select Student Records and then View Your Academic Advisor.

Who are my orientation leaders?

Meet your orientation leaders.

Why did someone call me about orientation?

Our orientation leaders contact all new students by phone in an effort to ensure that you are fully prepared for your orientation session and that your records are up to date for orientation events, such as registration. They will answer any questions and help ease any concerns you may have.

Where do I send my transcripts?

You can send your transcripts to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. If you are currently in courses at your other institution, you will need to be sure to send an updated copy once you complete them.

When do I purchase my textbooks?

Once you have registered for your courses, you can purchase textbooks through the “Shop For Textbooks” link in your SIS account or bring in a copy of your schedule a few weeks before the semester to the bookstore.

Where and when do I get my parking permit, and why do I need one?

You can get your parking permit the first week of classes.

Parking permits are available on the stage on the first floor of the University Pavilion at the beginning of every semester and through the ITS Helpdesk in MSB. There is no charge for your parking permit. After the second week of classes, you will need your permit to park on campus to avoid receiving a parking ticket. We will show this location during your orientation session. 

Who can i call if I have other questions?

The Student Success Center is open:

Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m

Contact us at (810) 762-3085 or

What is my UMID?

Your UMID is an 8-digit student ID number.

Why should I check my email?

You should check your campus email often because most university offices and departments will only email a student through their UM-Flint account. This is how we verify we are talking to the correct student.