Is your program accredited?


The ARC-PA has granted Accreditation-Provisional status to the University of Michigan-Flint Physician Assistant Program sponsored by the University of Michigan-Flint. 

Accreditation-Provisional is an accreditation status granted when the plans and resource allocation, if fully implemented as planned, of a proposed program that has not yet enrolled students appear to demonstrate the program’s ability to meet the ARC-PA Standards or when a program holding Accreditation-Provisional status appears to demonstrate continued progress in complying with the Standards as it prepares for the graduation of the first class (cohort) of students. 

Accreditation-Provisional does not ensure any subsequent accreditation status. It is limited to no more than five years from matriculation of the first class. The program’s accreditation history can be viewed on the ARC-PA website at 

How much does your program cost?

The UM-Flint PA Program tuition and fees can be found HERE. Tuition and fees are subject to change yearly.

Are advising appointments available to look over my transcript to get advice on how to improve my chance for admission?

Unfortunately, the UM-Flint PA Program cannot offer admissions counseling/advice to applicants at this time. Please check the UM-Flint PA Program website for the most up-to-date information about the Program and information about Admission Webinars.

What information should I include for my Community Service?

This is for volunteer community service, not for actual paid work. Verification of community service must be listed in a letter on the organization stationery, signed by the supervisor, verifying the type of service you delivered and the dates of service. If you have more than one letter, please scan and combine the documents into one, and upload to the CASPA application.

What documentation do you want uploaded for the “Clinical Hours Verification?”

Applicants must include a letter that must be on the organization stationery, signed by the supervisor, verifying the type of service you delivered and the dates of service. If you have more than one letter, please scan and combine the documents into one. The letter should include all hands-on health care experiences for the past two years, including a brief description and number of hours.  

Will I be considered for admission with only two letters of recommendation? Who should write my letters?

Please submit three letters of recommendation. If you have less than three letters you will not be considered for admission. At least one letter of support must be furnished by a health care professional supervisor who is able to verify the applicant’s health care experience hours. All letters should be completed by individuals who know the applicant well. 


What score do you require for the GRE? What is the UM-Flint PA Program GRE code?

The minimum GRE score that is accepted is 285 combined verbal and quantitative and 3.5 writing score. The UM-Flint PA Program GRE Designated Institution Code is 4374.


Does experience gained as a part of university internship count toward the 500 hands on patient care experience hours?

Does patient care experience gained as a part of university internship (nursing, exercise physiology, etc.) count toward the 500 hands on patient care experience hours required for admission to the Program?

Patient care experience gained through college and university courses, clinical rotations and internships are not applicable toward UM-Flint PA Program 500 hours of hands on health care experience.  Hands on patient care experience can be paid (preferable) or volunteer experience, but it cannot be taken for academic credit. Please see the list of examples of accepted health care experience:

Will you accept applications with less than 500 hours of hands on health care experience?

Applicants with less than 500 direct patient care hours completed at time of application will NOT be considered for admission. Applicants must have at least 500 direct patient care hours by the CASPA application deadline.

My science college course work is greater 7 years old. Will you accept them?

Non-science prerequisite courses can be older than 7 years. 

Science prerequisite courses (human anatomy, physiology, chemistry, and microbiology) must be taken within seven years from the date of the application submission. If any science courses were completed greater than 7 years prior to the time of application submission, and the content of the courses is used in your work as a health professional, you may apply for a 7 year Prerequisite Science Course Waiver. This  request must be submitted and approved prior to January 1, and uploaded to the CASPA application.

Waiver requests should be emailed to and contain the following information;

  • The name, course number, institution, and name of the course to be waived
  • Detailed explanation of why your continuous employment experience demonstrated master of the prerequisite course content

Is there any flexibility with prerequisite coursework?

(i.e. Can I substitute Sport Psychology for Developmental Psychology? Does Microbiology have to have a lab component? I don’t have Medical Terminology, will I still be considered?)

You must have completed coursework as listed on the UM-Flint PA program website, If you have questions regarding coursework for the PA Program, email

If my GPA during my first years in undergraduate was below a 3.0, is there anything I can do to be considered for this program?

Applicants may request that their last 60 undergraduate credit hours be used to calculate the cumulative GPA. This request should be sent to by December 1 and include rationale for the request, and you will receive an email response. If approved, please upload this response to the CASPA application. Only undergraduate coursework will be used in the calculation. No graduate coursework will be used to calculate the cumulative GPA. If undergraduate courses were taken after graduation, these courses may be included in the last 60 credit total. If a last 60 credit hour waiver is granted, it is applicable to one application cycle only, as waivers do not roll over from one cycle to another. Any questions regarding undergraduate coursework may be directed to

When does prerequisite coursework need to be completed for the application cycle?

All prerequisite coursework must be completed by the CASPA and UM-Flint Graduate Application deadline. Please note: Applicants will not be considered for admission if any prerequisite course is outstanding at the time of the CASPA Application deadline.

Do you require a supplemental application?

Yes, we require a completed application to UM-Flint Graduate Programs with the fee paid by the March 1 CASPA deadline in order to be considered for admission.

What is the UM-Flint PA Program Application Deadline?

Monday, March 1, 2021.

To be considered for admission a completed CASPA and UM-Flint graduate application must be submitted by March 1, 2021 (and CASPA “verified” by March 15, 2021). Both the CASPA and UM-Flint graduate applications will be available beginning July 1, 2020. It is suggested that applications be completed (e-submitted, payment received, transcripts received, and three letters received) at least six weeks in advance of the PA Program March 1, 2021 submission deadline to ensure the application is verified on time.