Reverse Transfer is a process where academic credits for course work completed at a four-year university are transferred back to your community college to satisfy associate's degree requirements. Some students transfer into a four-year institution before completing an associate's degree at a community college, with a percentage of this group gaining a bachelor's degree eventually through a combination of credits from both institutions. Through Reverse Transfer, a student's achievements are recognized with an associate's degree after they have transferred to a four-year school and have accumulated the credits needed to fulfill the two-year degree program requirements.

The University of Michigan-Flint currently has Reverse Transfer Agreements with Mott Community College, Delta College, Kalamazoo Valley Community College and St. Clair County Community College. Under these partnership agreements, students attending the University of Michigan-Flint could be granted an earned Associate's Degree by combining credits from UM-Flint with the credits previously earned from these community colleges. The University of Michigan-Flint is committed to helping our students earn all available credentials as they pursue their career goals. To this end, work is ongoing to forge agreements with other area community colleges.

If you have been recently enrolled at the University of Michigan-Flint and transferred from any of the community colleges listed above the Office of the Registrar will notify you that you are eligible for review based on the criteria below for the potential awarding of your earned associate's degree. You will be sent a link  ( to a Transcript Request form specifically for the Reverse Transfer Agreement. Using this transcript request form gives permission to UM-Flint to send your transcript, communicate with your community college regarding your coursework, and permits your community college to award your degree, if appropriate. The request must be completed and returned to the Office of the Registrar at UM-Flint. Your transcript will be sent to your community college at no charge to you. The initial criteria is:
45+ credits hours completed at your community college
24+ credits hours completed at UM-Flint

The sending of the University of Michigan-Flint transcript to your community college does not guarantee the granting of a degree. The courses you take at the University of Michigan-Flint (or any other college or university) will be evaluated by your community college. The granting of the degree remains at the discretion of and is subject to the degree and residency requirements of the community college, which is the degree granting institution. You will be contacted by your community college with the results of your review.

Questions should be referred to the Office of the Registrar, 266 University Pavilion, (810) 762-3344, option 2.