1. Do I have to wait until I'm an upperclassmen to participate in UROP?  No. First and second year students are certainly able to participate in UROP. It is important to note however, that some UROP projects might require experience. Also, some project sponsors may require that you complete certain courses prior to working on their projects.
  2. Can I work on a UROP project outside of my major? Yes. While most students choose to do research within their major, you can work on research projects in the any area you choose.
  3. How will I be compensated for being in UROP? Students participating in UROP can receive a stipend (up to $500 per funding cycle), use work study funding (if eligible), or earn service hours through the Commitment to Service Program. Paid students can earn between $10 - $15 per hour.
  4. I was awarded work study. Can I still earn additional UROP funding? No. Your work study award is partially paid by UROP. So you are not allowed to earn additional funding beyond what is used to cover UROP's contribution to your work study award. 
  5. If I run out of UROP funding, can I still work on the project? Yes. Please note that you will not receive pay for any time you work on the project once your award has been used. But you are certainly welcome to earn service hours through the University Outreach's Commitment to Service program.
  6. How many hours can I work a week? Generally speaking, UROP students commit between 1-5 hours a week. The number of hours students work is typically determined by various factors including class schedules, faculty needs, etc.
  7. How do I record my time? UROP students must submit bi-weekly timesheets via Wolverine Access. Your faculty sponsor will be contacted to confirm the hours you worked.
  8. How many projects can I work on at once?  UROP only allows students to work on one project at a time.
  9. What if I don't like my project? Talk to your faculty sponsor about why you aren’t enjoying the project. Discuss ways to make the project more interesting for you. If you are not comfortable talking to your faculty sponsor, contact Andre Louis, Program Manager, at alouis@umflint.edu. If the issue cannot be resolved, we can arrange to have you removed from the project and moved onto one that better suits your interests.
  10. I can't find my project on the careers.umich.edu. The posting on the careers.umich.edu is the general application that all students must complete. You indicate which specific project you like to work on by applying for it on the UROP InfoReady site.
  11. How can I continue working on the project? In order to be eligible for project extensions, you must submit a progress report in InfoReady AND reapply to the project during the next funding cycle (if the faculty sponsor has relauched their project for the next funding cycle). Failure to satisfy both steps will disqualify you from extending the project.
  12. Can I continue with UROP after I graduate? Unfortunately, no. UROP is designed for active undergraduate students. However, students who have graduated but are still taking undergraduate-level courses may be given conditional UROP status.