Packing for Move-In

Student smiling

Moving from home to college can be overwhelming. When deciding on what to bring to college, it is always a good idea for students to contact their suitemate(s) and compare notes. Decide who will bring what, that will help you avoid having two or four of everything when one is enough. If the prospect of packing everything is daunting, or if you forget something, don’t panic! There are several retail and grocery stores near UM-Flint. Remember, it is not mandatory that you bring everything on this list, or bring everything at once. Wait and see what you really need and will use. If you live close by, you might want to bring your clothes in shifts, so you don’t have to store everything in your room. We also encourage you to create a list of serial numbers for your valuable items, and keep the list at home in the event something is lost or stolen.


  • Casual clothes
  • Professional Interview outfit
  • Hangers
  • Raincoat & Umbrella
  • Sleepwear/Slippers
  • Undergarments / Long Johns
  • Warm Coat
  • Winter Accessories (Boots, Ear Muffs, Gloves, Hats, Scarves)
  • Workout Clothes

Linens & Bathroom Necessities

You may purchase linens for your bedroom and bathroom online through Residence Hall Linens. There are many linen packages to choose from. Your bed is an extra long twin size which requires extra long twin sheets (39'' by 80"). You may find other valuable items as you browse the linen page. Have your linens shipped to your residence hall prior to your arrival! Please be sure to include your name on the shipment.

Ship your linens to:

First Street Residence Hall
(Include your name)
(Include your room number and bed letter) For example, 201A
301 E. First Street
Flint, MI  48502

Riverfront Residence Hall
(Include your name)
(Include your room number and bed letter) For example, 402B
1 Riverfront Center W
Flint, MI  48502

You need to supply your own shower curtain and bath mat. A standard shower curtain and bath mat will fit the space in your bathroom.


  • Alarm Clock
  • Cell phone
  • Bedding (Extra long twin)
  • Computer / Printer / Thumbdrive
  • Extension Cord (size 12, 14, or 16 UL Certified only)
  • Powerstrip with surge protection
  • Flashlight 
  • Trash cans
  • Poster Putty / Command strips (no nails)
  • Planner / Organizer
  • Plastic Storage Containers
  • Reading Light / Night Light
  • Scissors / stapler / 3-hole punch
  • Allen wrench


  • Medical Information
  • Insurance Information / Card
  • Identification Card(s) / State ID
  • Social Security Card


  • Can Opener
  • Coffee Maker (must have automatic shutoff)
  • Dishes
  • Cutting Board
  • Dish Cloths & Towels
  • Dish Drying Rack
  • Dish Soap
  • Garbage Bags
  • Garbage Can for Kitchen
  • Ice Cube Trays
  • Iron (must have automatic shut off)
  • Ironing Board
  • Kitchen Utensils
  • Paper Towels
  • Plastic Containers
  • Pots and Pans
  • Pad lock
  • Mini Microwave (800 watts or less) *Riverfront suites come with a microwave
  • Mop and Bucket / Swiffer / Broom
  • Oven Mitts
  • Television(s) (with cable cord)
  • Vacuum
  • Sponges, Dish Scrubber
  • Toaster
  • Shower Curtain
  • Baking Pans
  • Shower mat and bathroom rug
  • Silverware tray 


  • Cleaning Supplies
  • Facial Tissues
  • Hair Styling Items
  • Laundry Bag/Basket
  • Laundry Detergent/Fabric Softener/Quarters
  • Lotion Glasses/Contacts
  • Medication / Inhaler
  • Toiletries (Shampoo, soap, razor, toothbrush, etc.)
  • Towels & Washcloths
  • Toilet Paper

Can I bring carpet?

In First Street Residence Hall the suite/bedroom floors are wood laminate throughout, in Riverfront Residence Hall the kitchen and bathrooms are wood laminate and tile, the bedrooms are carpeted. If you would like to bring an area rug or carpet, you are more than welcome. You cannot get carpet installed in your suite/room.

Your suite/room is fully furnished, but if you would like to bring in additional items that is fine. All furniture that is provided must stay in the suite throughout the duration of the year.

We want you to make your room have a personality. When you decorate, you need to keep in mind the guidelines that have been created to keep the residence hall in good condition. You can not drill holes in the wall or paint. Check "A Resident’s Guide to Community Living" for more details on items that are allowed in the hall.

What Not to Bring

The following items are not permitted in the residence halls:

  • Air conditioners
  • Appliances without an automatic shut off (e.g., slow cookers, crockpots, Instantpots, rice cookers, waffle and s’mores makers, irons, electric kettles, coffee makers)
  • Appliances not owned by HRL greater than 5.5 cubic foot capacity and/or with an amperage draw of more than 1.5 amps (i.e.cube refrigerators, microwaves, etc.) 
  • Candles, incense, and candle/oil warmers
  • Drug-related paraphernalia (e.g., bong, pipe, vaporizers), water pipes (hookahs)
  • Electrical outlet extenders (devices that can be screwed into a light bulb socket that has an electrical outlet – the lightbulb is then screwed into the extender)
  • Extension cords higher than 16 gauge (e.g., 18 or 20 gauge)
  • Firearms, fireworks, explosives and ammunition
  • Electric fireplaces, space heaters, etc.
  • Flammable items, such as fuel (propane, lamp oil, solvents, lava lamps, gasoline, etc.)
  • Foil-lined cupboards, stove and/or walls/windows
  • Fog machines
  • Grills (gas, charcoal, electric, etc.)
  • Halogen lamps, bulbs (all types, including clip-on, torchiere, desk, and spider lamps)
  • Heating pads or electric blankets without automatic shut off features
  • Hot plates, toaster ovens, or any cooking appliance with an exposed cooking element
  • “Hoverboards”, electronic skateboards, self-balancing boards/scooters and other similar equipment are prohibited from being used, stored, and/or charged inside any housing facility
  • Humidifiers of all types unless there is documented medical need approved by the University
  • Locks, latches, or similar devices (for interior or exterior doors) beyond what is provided by HRL
  • Mercury thermometers (residents found responsible for a broken mercury thermometer will be charged $800-$2,000 for the spill cleanup)
  • Natural, cut trees, branches and/or greens (such as holiday trees, wreaths and garlands)
  • Oil-based popcorn poppers, deep frying appliances/devices
  • Pets
  • Pesticides/Pest control (such as commercially available bug bombs, spray, or poison bait)
  • Pianos and organs
  • 3D printers
  • Satellite dishes mounted in any fashion to any interior or exterior area
  • Sleeping pods, capsules, or enclosures that could impede a person’s ability to hear a fire alarm or notice of evacuationSubwoofers, sound systems, or entertainment systems that cause an excessive and disruptive degree of noise.Tanning beds, trampolines, waterbeds
  • Vent covers
  • Wireless routers and other technologies that interfere with normal network operations

Please visit A Resident’s Guide to Community Living where you will find a list of prohibited items on page 10.