Education & Events
DPS is committed to "Connecting with U!" ~
In addition to the traditional law enforcement services, DPS is dedicated to providing a wide variety of community services. Ourcommunity engagement programs are designed to build and maintain partnerships, trust, respect, create a dialogue with our community, provide educational resources and programs, and assist our community in reducing the opportunity for crime.
Pop with A Cop
Fall and Winter Semesters (Wednesdays)
UCEN 3rd floor Lobby
12:30 - 1:30 pm
*3rd Wednesday of each month ~ WSW Lobby ~ 12:30 - 1:30 pm
The R.A.D (Rape, Agression, Defense) Systems of Self Defense
DPS offers RAD Training throughout the school year to all persons. Training is available at NO COST. Registration is required.
Please contact DPS at (810) 762-3330 to request more information, to sign up, or inquire about hosting a class.
2019-20 Class Schedule:
- 2019 RAD for Women: February 4, 11, 18, 25 (Monday) @WSW Building, Tuscola Room
- 2019 RAD for Men: March 13, 20, 27, April 1 (Wednesday) @WSW Building, Tuscola Room
- 2019 RAD for Women: November 11, 13,20 (Mon/Wed) 6:30-9:30pm @ UCEN Michigan Room D and Nov 18 (Mon) 6:30-9:30pm @WSW Tuscola Room
- 2020 RAD for Women: January 20, 22, 27, 29 (Mon/Wed) 6:30-9:30pm @UCEN Michigan Room D
Connecting with U - Open Forum
Topic: Q & A with DPS about what's on your mind, services offered, parking, safety strategies, safety tips and much more!
*Open to UM-Flint Students, Faculty and Staff = To attend the CU-Open Forum, you must reserve your spot - Call DPS at 810-762-3330 and ask to speak to Gaye to register to attend.
- Tuesday September 17, 2019 6-7pm @Hubbard Building, Large Conference Room
- Tuesday November 12, 2019 6-7pm @Hubbard Building, Large Conference Room
- Thursday February 6, 2020 4-5pm @Hubbard Building, Large Conference Room
Education Safety Sessions
Topic: Open Series
2019/20 dates to be determined
*Open to UM-Flint Students, Faculty and Staff = To attend one of the educational sessions, you must reserve your spot - Call DPS at 810-762-3330 to register to attend.
If your group or organization would like a customized training session conducted by DPS (i.e. Active Shooter/Lockdown) please contact Gaye.
2019-20 Course Schedule:
- September 17, 2019 5-6pm @Hubbard Building, Large Conference Room
- September 24, 2019 6-7pm @Hubbard Builiding, Large Conference Room
- October 1, 2019 6-7pm @Hubbard Building, Large Conference Room
Training is on-going. Requests will be filled.
Did you know the Department of Public Safety (DPS) offers active attacker training? For the dates and times of upcoming training sessions, please visit our web page (www.umflint.edu/safety/connecting_with_u). We also offer smaller group sessions. At the request of two or more faculty, staff or students, DPS will provide active attacker training. Simply call us at 810-762-3330 to book your on-campus active attacker training session.
Our campus is safe, and it is unlikely that you will ever face an active attacker situation; however, if you do, you need to be prepared and have a plan! Active attacker situations can evolve quickly, often causing panic and disbelief. Knowing what to do in advance increases your chances of surviving. The DPS goal is to educate our community by providing educational resources to help you prepare for and respond to an active attacker incident.
October 2019 date to be determined
UPAV Happenings Room
The Safety Awareness March is interactive and involves role-playing at each station.
The do's and don't's about personal safety are discussed after each role play event.
Join us and let's march together for safety!
Students, faculty and staff join us for this helpful 3-part training series -
- 2019/20 dates to be determined
- Location: UCEN, Michigan Room A
To register or for more information, please contact UM-Flint Department of Public Safety at 810-762-3330 and ask to speak to Gaye.
Alcohol / Drug Awareness Education Classes
- 2019/20 dates to be determined
Classes focusing on alcohol and drug awareness education are available throughout the semester.
If your organization or group would like to request this training or are interested in hosting a class, please call DPS at 810-762-3330 and ask for Gaye to reserve a date.