The Marlene Borland Staff Book Fund was established in 1997 by UM-Flint staff members, Catherine A. Moore and Roxanne M. Brunger, to provide University of Michigan-Flint staff with funds to purchase books needed for completion of their undergraduate degree at the University of Michigan-Flint. The fund is intended to reward the persistence of UM-Flint staff as they strive toward the completion of a bachelor’s degree. The fund was established in recognition of Marlene Borland, accounting department supervisor, who retired in 1997 after 28 years of service to the University. The awards are made only for Fall and Winter semesters.
1. Applicants must be a staff employee of the University of Michigan-Flint (temporary employees are not eligible).
2. Applicants must be enrolled as a student at UM-Flint and be pursuing a first undergraduate degree. [Example: students who already have obtained a bachelor’s degree at any institution are ineligible for awards.] Preference given to students with junior or senior status.
3. Applicants must be eligible, and have applied, for the UM-Flint staff tuition prepayment program for the respective semester they apply for a book award.
4. Applicants must have a 3.0 overall GPA at the time of application.
5. Book awards will be rescinded if award recipient withdraws from the term (drops all courses) prior to tenth day. The awardee will be ineligible for future awards unless they reimburse the Marlene Borland Staff Book Fund for the amount of the award received in the term they withdraw.
6. This is a one time, non-renewable award. Eligible recipients may receive $100 for a Fall or Winter semester, as available funding allows. Up to two individual awards per semester will be given. Award will be applied directly to applicant’s UM-Flint student account. By digitally signing the application form, applicant acknowledges responsibility for all applicable taxes.
7.The UM-Flint staff employee education committee will administer the awards each semester.
8. Applications must be submitted electronically and are due for Fall and Winter semesters on the same date as the Tuition Prepayment for UM-Flint Staff Members forms are due. Deadlines available at www.umflint.edu/hr/forms-and-deadlines under the “For Staff Members” section.