Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q)

On this page you will find a list of the questions the Student Veteran Resource Center is frequently asked. If your question is not listed here please contact us at (810) 424-5589 or with your question(s).






Q: What are the VA Programs available for Education?

Chapter 30         Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty
Chapter 1606     Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve              
Chapter 35         Survivors’ & Dependents’ Educational Assistance
Chapter 31         Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
Chapter 33         Post 9/11 GI Bill
For more information on VA Progams visit the Veterans Affairs G.I Bill website.




Q: I am interested in using federal tuition assistance as a current service member, where can I start?

We highly recommend first discussing taking college courses with your chain of command and your Education Services Officers for your respective military branch.  This can help you assess what your options are related to which benefits you can use and how much time you can devote to college courses.  We understand that your mission must come first in many instances.  We can work one-on-one with you after that to guide you through the admissions, financial aid, advising, and registration processes in accordance with relevant federal policies.  Once you have spoken with your Education Services Officer and have determined that you would like to attend University of Michigan-Flint, please reach out at or by calling 810-424-5391.

Return to the top



Q: How can I verify my enrollment to a VA Program?

Everyone receiving MGIB-Active Duty (chapter 30) benefits, as well as those in the Selected Reserve (chapter 1606 & 1607) must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. 
Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using VA’s Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or by calling the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.


Return to the top



Q: What courses will my VA Program pay for?

The VA only pays for courses that are required for completion of your degree. Exceptions: 
          ~ Departmental letter of substitution 
          ~ Valid prerequisite for required course
          ~ Remedial courses supported by test scores
          ~ Elective courses in the graduating semester to gain full-time status


Return to the top



Q: What is the Veterans Intent Form?

It is a form used by the certifying official so that she knows that you want to use your benefits that term. A Veteran Statement of Intent form is required for each semester that you are enrolled. The Veterans intent form can be found under your SIS account by clicking on Student Services -> Student Records -> Veterans Intent Form. Courses cannot be certified until the Veterans Intent Form is submitted.


Return to the top



Q: How long does it take the VA to process my payments?

The VA is currently taking 8 to 10 weeks to process the first check of the semester.  The earlier you register, the earlier the University can submit your information to the VA. 


Return to the top



Q: What happens if I wish to attend more than one institution?

If you decide to attend another institution at the same time as you are attending UM-Flint please talk to the certifying official prior to enrollment for that semester. We want to make sure you are taking classes that are transferable and can be certified by the VA. Many times payments at the community colleges are required with a few days of registration and the add/drop penalties will vary. 


Return to top



Q: How does my tuition get paid?

It depends on which VA Education Program you have elected to use.

For Ch 30, 1606, 1607 and 35: Tuition and fees are to be paid by the student according to the dates found in the course schedule.  VA benefits are reimbursements, NOT scholarships.  Since the VA benefits are not sufficient to cover all educational costs, the certifying official encourages you to look into financial aid.

For Chapter 31 and 33: Tuition and fees are paid directly to the University.  Students whose Chapter 33 entitlement is less than 100% are responsible for payment of the unmet tuition and fees by the payment deadline each semester.


Return to top



Q: Who is the UM-Flint Certifying Official?

The Certifying Official for the University of Michigan-Flint is Helen Budd, she can be reached at, or (810) 424-5391.

Helen will need you to provide the following items:

-Acceptance Letter
-DD 214
-Certificate of Eligibility
-Veterans Intent Form (submitted through SIS)

Return to top



Q: How do I set up Direct Deposit or Change my address?

Students must keep their address current. The fastest way to change an address or start/change direct deposit is to call VA 1-888-442-4551.  The following information is needed to set up direct deposit:  account number, 9 digit bank routing number, and type of account (checking or savings). You can also visit the WAVE application website to sign up for direct deposit using the direct deposit form (excludes Chapter 31, 32, 33, and 35).


Return to top



Q: Can I get an advanced payment?

Yes! Advanced pay is a two month check delivered to the school at the start of the semester.  You must have been out of school at least 60 days to be eligible.  A signature on a request form is required that can be obtained from a VA regional office.  VA must receive the request at least 60 days prior to the start of classes (excludes Chapters 31 and 33). For more information on Advanced Pay, including a list of the VA regional offices, please visit the GI Bill Advanced Pay website.


Return to top



Q: Can I change my program/benefits?

Yes you can, to change your Program you must notify the certifying official immediately if you make changes in the program for which you are certified:  adds, drops, withdrawals, or changing of majors. If you are transferring your benefits from another institution, you are required to complete and submit a Change of Program/Place of Training form to the VA (22-1995, 22-5495 for Chapter 35 dependents), and provide a copy to the Certifying Official at UM-Flint.  Chapter 31 students must contact their case manager for all changes. For changes in Benefits: If you are switching from one benefit program to another (ex. going from Ch. 30 to Ch. 33) you must notify the certifying official immediately of your plans. 


Return to top



Q: Can I still receive financial aid?

Yes you can and it is encouraged! Veterans interested in receiving traditional financial aid need to complete the FAFSA at . No federal VA benefits, such as the Montgomery GI Bill, will be considered an educational resource when the Financial Aid Officer awards financial aid.   The first financial aid check is disbursed 10 days before classes begin for Fall and Winter.  It is disbursed on the first day of the semester for Spring and Summer.


Return to top



Q: When can I receive my financial aid if I am a Chapter 31 or 33?

If you are receiving financial aid in addition to your VA benefits, and your financial aid funds exceed the amount of your tuition and fees, you will receive an initial stipend for the difference, as described above. Tuition and fees are reported to the VA after the late registration/add deadline (found on the calendar for the semester). Your financial aid will be held until your tuition payment arrives and is posted to your account. More details are available on our Current Students page under Billing and Disbursement Process.


Return to top



Q: Does the University of Michigan-Flint participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program? 

Yes, the University of Michigan-Flint does participate in the Yellow Ribbon. Keep in mind that the in-state tuition guidelines for all University of Michigan students has recently been revised. You may qualify for in-state tuition based on your service. For more information, please visit the Residency Classification website. If you would still like to learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program, please contact our office.


Return to top



Q: Do I have to maintain a certain GPA?

If you are receiving veteran’s benefits while enrolled here you must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 for undergraduates and 5.0 for graduate students.  Failure to maintain that grade point average will place you on probation for veteran’s benefits purposes.  You will have two (2) consecutive semester/terms, including summer terms, to come off probation.  If you fail to come off probation, we will inform the Veterans Affairs Office of that fact.  You will no longer be certified for veteran’s benefits until you have raised your cumulative grade point average to that which is required for graduation.  Voc Rehab students must also follow all stipulations listed on their contract.


Return to top



Q: What happens if I fail a course?

If you complete a course, but receive a non-punitive grade (“N”, “F”, or “W”) an overpayment may be created.  The VA may not pay for non-punitive grades.

*Punitive grades: are grades that do count towards graduation and towards the student’s grade point average
*Non-punitive grades: are grades that do not count towards graduation or towards the grade point average


Return to top



Q: What happens if I do not complete a course? 

If you receive an incomplete grade in a course and it’s not completed (with a punitive grade*) in the one-year allowed by the Veterans Administration, a reduction in hours for that semester is reported.  Benefits are reduced effective the first date of that semester, and an overpayment will be created.  If your incomplete grade should subsequently change, please notify the certifying official as soon as possible, so that it can be determined whether or not the course may be re-certified.


Return to top



Q: Can I repeat courses I did not complete or failed?

You may receive VA education benefits to repeat a course required for graduation in which a punitive* failing or other unacceptable grade was assigned.


Return to top



Q: Can I take a course again for a refresher if I have been out of school for more than 60 days?

Yes you can, however the VA will not pay for courses in which you've already received credit, and the student must pay for it on their own. This is called an audited course and information regarding audited courses can be found in the Academic Policies page.


Return to top



Q: How do I apply for graduation?

Upon reaching upper senior status (100 credits), you must file an application for graduation with the Registrar’s Office. An online version can be found here.


Return to top