The success of the University of Michigan-Flint is dependent on the efforts of the entire campus community. Facilities & Operations is committed to contributing to this success by providing quality and expeditious service in maintaining a clean and comfortable campus that provides a progressive learning environment.
Facilities & Operations is responsible for a wide range of tasks relating to daily building maintenance and operations. These tasks include construction and renovation projects, custodial services, building and grounds maintenance, mailroom operations, and shipping & receiving services.
Submit a Work Order
University faculty, staff, or students requesting routine maintenance or services please submit a Work Order form.
If you would like to request a project please read Capital Planning & Space Guidelines and obtain approval from your Dean/EO to submit a Project Request form to begin the process. Please review the Project Request Instructions prior to submitting.
Architectural & Engineering Services
The Architectural & Engineering Services Unit provides a wide range of services related to the design, renovation and construction of University facilities. Services provided include:
- Architectural and engineering design services
- Construction and renovation project administration
- Energy management and conservation studies
- Feasibility studies and project cost estimation
- Supervision of design consultants
- Space inventory, analysis and planning
- Parking and traffic safety studies
The Building Maintenance Unit provides a wide variety of building maintenance and installation services, such as:
- Lock and door hardware repair
- Key cutting and core assembly
- Window repair; vertical and mini-blind repair
- Ceiling and floor repair and replacement
- Classroom equipment repair
- Office furniture assembly and repair
- Departmental equipment repair
- Wall repair and painting
- Minor installations, such as hanging a picture or clock
- Other installations, such as bookshelves, cabinets, tack boards, etc.
- Plumbing repair on sinks faucets and toilets
- Carpentry work, such as build walls, install doors, etc.
The Business Operations Unit is typically the first contact the university community has when requesting service. The Business Operations Unit is responsible for the following services:
- Process Service Requests from the university community
- Provide and maintain Service Request reports
- Provide clerical and secretarial services for all units within Facilities & Operations
- Process and maintain budget, accounting and purchasing reports
- Process and maintain union payroll records and time reports
- Process and maintain student maintenance and housekeeping payroll record
The Custodial Services unit provides routine and special housekeeping services to the university community. Daily services include cleaning of restrooms, locker rooms and pool areas, public spaces, dining areas, classrooms and general labs, lecture halls, and outer offices. Inner offices are cleaned once a week on a scheduled basis. Office cleaning includes floor cleaning and trash removal. Dusting is not provided for office areas. Other services provided include:
- Spill cleanup (non-hazardous materials)
- Additional trash pickup
- Special or project cleaning, weekends or evenings
The Fleet Maintenance Unit provides routine and emergency maintenance of university vehicles and motorized equipment on the Flint campus. The unit also coordinates service through area vendors for warranty work, major repairs, and collision repairs.
The Grounds Maintenance Unit provides quality care for more than 42 acres of grounds at three sites. Services provided by the Grounds Maintenance Unit include the following:
- Walk, roadway and parking lot maintenance and snow removal
- Turf care programs
- Irrigation systems installation and maintenance
- Trees, shrubs and flower planting and maintenance
- Exterior signage, installation and maintenance
- Pest control
The Materials Management Unit is responsible for a variety of functions from receiving, shipping and delivering packages, stocking and dispensing maintenance materials and tracking capital equipment throughout the campus. These services include:
- Central receiving and shipping operations
- Pickup and delivery of packages on campus
- Maintenance stores
- Used and surplus equipment disposition/redistribution
- Mailroom operations
- Faxing services
- Ann Arbor courier services
The Skilled Trades Unit provides maintenance and installation services related to all utilities. Work handled by the unit includes the following:
- Maintenance of the Central Energy Plant (CEP) and Utility Distribution Systems (UDS) which supply steam and chilled water, domestic water, and primary electrical service to the buildings
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioner (HVAC) maintenance and service
- Operation and repair of domestic water and wastewater systems; other piped utilities such as natural gas, compressed air, vacuum and high purity water
- Electrical and lighting repair and circuit breaker reset
- Clock and timer repair and scheduled changes
- Thermostat and building environmental control repair and recalibration
- Energy Management Systems operation and maintenance
- Ventilation schedule changes for extended hours, special schedules and room usage outside of normal classroom schedules
- Installation, relocation and repair of lighting, outlets and switches, etc.
- Laboratory fume hood and ventilation systems operation and maintenance