Experience More During College
World-class museums and art. Delicious restaurants. The roar of the crowd in the Big House. Students at the University of Michigan-Flint take part in vibrant activities and rich culture in Flint, Genesee County, and the surrounding areas.
Don’t get us wrong; there’s plenty to do on campus. At the start of every academic year, Wolverine Welcome invites new and returning students back to connect with friends, learn about student organizations, and enjoy fun and food. A few weeks later, Homecoming parades and dances take the UM-Flint spirit to a new level. Many students take advantage of Alternative Spring Break to do good in the community while away from their classes. And these examples are just a few among many that create the fabric of our university culture.
Studying at UM-Flint offers exciting opportunities to take advantage of all our community has to offer. From strolling downtown Flint during monthly Art Walks to cheering on the Wolverines on football Saturdays, there is no shortage of opportunities to complement the UM-Flint experience close to campus.
While the greater Flint and Ann Arbor communities offer students countless opportunities for entertainment, there are countless resources on campus to have a great time outside of class.
Visit events.umflint.edu for an up-to-date calendar of everything happening on campus.
Explore more than 100 Student Clubs & Organizations on the UM-Flint Engage platform. UM-Flint Esports offers a competitive gaming outlet.
Interested in going Greek? Learn more about Fraternity & Sorority Life.
Stay active with Club Sports and the Recreation Center.
Explore important issues through the Common Read, which invites campus to read a common book and engage in conversation while inviting the author to campus.
Enjoy the many food options available on campus.
Flint & Surrounding Area
You won’t run out of things to do, just steps away from campus. The Flint area boasts a thriving cultural scene with something for everyone.
- The Flint City Bucks soccer team is one of the most successful minor league teams in the country, and students can watch their games for free with their UM-Flint ID at Atwood Stadium!
- Kicking off their inaugural season, the Flint City AFC women’s soccer team also plays at Atwood Stadium with the same free admittance.
- The Flint Firebirds are part of the Ontario Hockey League and also have a winning tradition. The Firebirds play at Dort Federal Credit Union Event Center.
- The Flint United basketball team also plays at Dort Federal, and UM-Flint alum Matthew Washington is their general manager!
Arts & Culture
- Enjoy free access to the Flint Institute of Arts as a UM-Flint student.
- The Flint Local 432 is one of the longest-running all-ages music venues in the country.
- The Mott-Warsh Gallery showcases fine art created by artists of the African diaspora and others who reflect on it.
- See additional art museums and performance venues.
- Kayak the Flint River during a relaxing three-hour trip.
- Take advantage of winter weather by skiing or snowboarding at Pine Knob, Mt. Brighton, and Mt. Holly.
- Explore For-Mar Nature Preserve & Arboretum with 7 miles of hiking trails.
- Disc golf at Mott Park Recreation Area.
- Find more nature destinations.
- Comma Bookstore is owned by UM-Flint alum Egypt Otis.
- Show your pride with local apparel from Flint City T-Shirts.
- The Shops on Saginaw are a collection of Flint-based pop-up shops on the ground floor of the Dryden Building.
- The Flint Mad Hatter offers menswear, shoe shines, and, you guessed it – an extensive selection of stylish hats.
- Get rolling with Brush Alley Skateshop, which sells skateboards, gear, and apparel.
- SHIFT specializes in women’s clothing and accessories but also offers men, kids, and home goods.
Many of the activities listed here are within walking distance of the UM-Flint campus. For adventures further afield, public transportation puts your destination within reach.
- UM-Flint’s Department of Public Safety offers Campus Safe Ride around campus.
- The Mass Transportation Authority’s Moovit Trip Planner helps you set your bus route.
- On the Ann Arbor campus, the Magic Bus helps you track U-M buses in real-time.
Home to the central University of Michigan campus, Ann Arbor is less than an hour away from Flint, making for an easy weekend getaway. UM-Flint students can take advantage of many resources at the Ann Arbor campus, from sporting events to concerts and more.
The U-M Library is fully accessible to Flint students; materials are also available through interlibrary loans. Countless museums, art galleries, and performance venues are open to Flint students at Ann Arbor.
See the latest events happening at the Ann Arbor campus.
Students at UM-Flint have access to student season tickets for men’s football, basketball, and ice hockey games. Tickets are also available for the many other athletic events hosted by Ann Arbor.
Interested in getting involved yourself? The Ann Arbor Cheer Team, Dance Team, and Marching Band are open to UM-Flint students.
Ann Arbor club sports teams are also frequently open to UM-Flint students, though policies vary by sport.