admitted students

Next Steps

Once you’ve been admitted to a University of Michigan-Flint graduate program, take the next steps in your educational journey and prepare to reach your academic as well as professional goals. If you have any questions about the admission process, contact the Office of Graduate Programs. We’re here to help you advance your knowledge and your future.

  1. Visit
    This online portal is your information connection to UM-Flint. From, you’ll be able log in to the Student Information System (SIS) to register and pay for classes, schedule advising, check your financial aid status, get updates from the university, upload documents, and more.

    Your Uniqname and UMID needed to log in to were sent to you by the Office of Graduate Programs. If you need to create your uniqname visit  Uniqname & Account Setup. For additional instructions about this process, see Set Up Your Uniqname and Account.
  2. Register for Orientation
    For your convenience, UM-Flint offers an online graduate student orientation designed to introduce you to policies, procedures, and other information you need to know. Many graduate programs also hold their own mandatory on-campus orientations so be sure to check directly with your program.
  3. Make Enrollment Deposit (if required)
    Certain graduate programs require students to submit an enrollment deposit to secure their space. Check here to find out if your program requires a deposit, and for instructions on how to make your deposit online, by check, or by money order.
  4. Log In to your UM-Flint Email Account
    Log in to and set up your university email account at, using the same password you used to set up

    Then be sure to check your email often for tuition payment information, registration dates, financial aid options, and other important information.
  5. Check Out Canvas
    Canvas is the online course management system used by many classes to share important information. While you’re there, visit the online Graduate Student Community for announcements.
  6. Meet with your Advisor
    Your assigned advisor should have also been included in your admission letter. Schedule time to meet with your program advisor for guidance on selecting classes to ensure on-time graduation. If you’re unsure who your advisor is, contact your graduate program.
  7. Register for Classes
    Log in to the Student Information System (SIS) to register for courses online.
  8. M-Card & Parking Pass Procedures*
    Students must be registered for courses before they can pick up Mcard and Parking Pass
    1. To Obtain your M-Card
      1. Log onto
      2. Upload a photo as outlined in the photo requirements – you will receive an email confirmation if the photo you submitted was accepted or rejected. If rejected, please submit a new photo following the guidelines.
      3. Pick up your M-card at your orientation session or on-campus at your convenience.
    2. To Obtain your Parking Pass – please note you must be a registered student to get a parking pass
      1. Go to and click on ‘Parking’ in the Dashboard menu
      2. Register your vehicle
      3. Pick up your parking pass at orientation
      4. This parking pass will be valid for one academic year.

      You must complete both of these processes online in order to receive these items. If you do not do them prior to coming to campus, you can pick up both of these items at a later date in the ITS Computer Lab in 206 Murchie Science Building.

      *If you still have an Mcard that hasn’t expired from when you were an undergraduate student, this is still a good card; you do not need to get a new one until it expires.
  9. Attend Orientation
    There are a variety of orientations available based on your program of admission. Click here to learn more.

Enrollment Verification

View the criteria for full-time enrollment for graduate students.

Academic Standing Policies

View the academic standing requirements needed to maintain status as a graduate student at UM-Flint.

Changing Degree Programs

Current UM-Flint graduate students seeking admission to a new or additional UM-Flint graduate degree or certificate program should submit the application for a dual degree or change of program. If you wish to change or add a concentration, please consult with your department or program advisor.