A Post-Master’s Degree for Responsible Education Leaders
The University of Michigan-Flint’s online Education Specialist (EdS) is an advanced degree program designed for ambitious in-service teachers or school administrators like you to increase leadership, communication, and administration competencies.
The EdS online program builds on your experience as an educator and allows you to reach your specific goals. Whether you plan to lead in the classroom, develop and direct curriculum, advance as an administrator or supervisor, or pursue your doctorate degree and enter higher education, the EdS program empowers you to excel.
UM-Flint’s online Education Specialist degree program is approved by the Michigan Department of Education. Upon completion, you are eligible for the Michigan School Administrator Certificate with a Central Office (CO) Endorsement.
Why Earn an Education Specialist (EdS) Degree at UM-Flint?
Flexible Online Part-Time Format
Tailored for working teachers and school administrators, the University of Michigan-Flint’s online Education Specialist degree program provides a flexible part-time learning format. The part-time format can accommodate your busy work schedule allowing you to seek career development without being away from the workforce. The EdS blends online coursework with one sychronous Saturday class per month.
The online EdS degree program emphasizes field-based learning. As part of the EdS program curriculum, the two field-based practicums give you the opportunity to apply knowledge to practice in a K-12 or postsecondary environment. Relevant to your specific area of leadership interest, these experiences and projects connect you to practicing professionals who mentor and support your success.
20-Month Structured Program
The Education Specialist is a well-structured program that provides a clear path to your degree and your goals. You know exactly which classes to take and when to take them. Improving your skills and knowledge in a progressive manner, you’ll be ready to emerge with your advanced degree in hand in 20 months.
The UM-Flint’s online EdS degree is a cohort-based program. You can study with a small group of fellow educators who share your passion for educational excellence. This cohort structure enables you to develop a strong support network for personal and professional development. Coursework emphasizes team-based projects that allow networking while improving collaboration and communication skills.
Path to Doctorate
The EdS program provides excellent preparation for students who plan to pursue a doctoral degree, particularly the Doctor of Education at the University of Michigan-Flint.
As part of the world-renowned University of Michigan community, you have access to the full academic and research resources at the Flint, Dearborn, and Ann Arbor campuses.
Online Education Specialist Program Curriculum
The University of Michigan-Flint’s Education Specialist degree program employs a robust 30-credit curriculum that fosters students’ decision-making, teaching, and learning management skills, as well as their leadership potential. Designed to accommodate busy professionals, the curriculum blends online coursework with once-a-month Saturday synchronous instruction sessions. Students can complete the EdS program in as little as 20 months on a part-time basis.
The online EdS degree program integrates coursework within Educational Leadership and Curriculum & Instruction that address district level National Educational Leadership Program (NELP) standards and align with students’ professional aspirations and interests. Approved by the Michigan Department of Education, students are eligible for the Michigan School Administrator Certification and the Central Office Endorsement (CO).
Education Specialist 2016
“I chose UM-Flint for my graduate studies for many reasons. I appreciated the blended learning model that was offered. The flexibility of having the bulk of my coursework available virtually was exactly what I needed as a full-time principal, wife, and mom. I was also able to meet with my cohort in person once a month for a full day of learning. These in-person connections were valuable and supported me on my journey to earning my Education Specialist degree.”
EdS Degree Career Opportunities
The University of Michigan-Flint’s online Education Specialist degree program prepares you to further your career in K-12 and post-secondary education as a compassionate, responsible, and well-rounded educator.
With an Education Specialist degree, you can pursue many job opportunities and are ready to challenge yourself with executive leadership assignments. You are also empowered to increase teaching effectiveness, foster student success, and improve educational equity and quality in the educational system.
Potential career paths include:
- K-12 School Principal
- Postsecondary Education Administrator
- Curriculum Director
- School Superintendent
- K-12 Teacher
Applicants to the online Education Specialist degree program should meet the following requirements:
- Completion of an MA or MS degree in an education-related field from a regionally accredited institution
- A minimum overall graduate school grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, 6.0 on a 9.0 scale, or equivalent
- At least three years of work experience in a P-16 educational institution or in an education-related position
To be considered for admission, submit an online application below. Other materials can be emailed to [email protected] or delivered to the Office of Graduate Programs, 251 Thompson Library.
- Application for Graduate Admission*
- $55 application fee (non-refundable)
- Official transcripts (undergraduate and graduate) from colleges and universities that issued your bachelor’s and master’s degrees
- For any degree completed at a non-US institution, official transcripts must be submitted for credential review to an approved credentialing agency. You must submit your transcripts for a course-by-course evaluation. Once the evaluation is completed, the transcript course-by-course evaluation report must be submitted to the University of Michigan-Flint. This document must be submitted directly from the transcript evaluation company.
- If English is not your native language, and you are not from an exempt country, you must demonstrate English proficiency.
- An essay of at least 1000 words describing your reason for seeking admission to the program.
- Résumé or Curriculum Vitae (CV) identifying training, experience, and professional accomplishments
- Educational Leader Evaluation, which should be completed by a person who has been your supervisor at some point during the last three years
- Three letters of recommendation, at least one of which is from a professor in a class taken at the graduate level, addressing your potential for success in the program
- Students from abroad must submit additional documentation
This program is fully online. Admitted students will not be able to obtain a student (F-1) visa to pursue this degree. However, students living outside of the US may complete this program online in their home country. However, they will not be eligible for certification. Other nonimmigrant visa holders currently in the United States please contact the Center for Global Engagement at [email protected].
*Alumni of a UM-Flint graduate program or a Rackham graduate program (any campus) may substitute the Change of Program or Dual Degree Application which requires no application fee.
Note: Admission to the EdS program does not guarantee subsequent admission to the UM-Flint Doctor of Education program.
The online Education Specialist program has rolling admissions and reviews completed applications each month. To be considered for admission, submit all application materials to the Office of Graduate Programs on or before the application deadline:
- Fall (early deadline*): April 1
- Fall (final deadline): August 1 (applications will be accepted on a case-by-case basis after August 1 deadline)
*You must have a complete application by the early deadline to guarantee application eligibility for scholarships, grants, and research assistantships.
Advising Services for Education Specialist Students
Do you need more guidance on your journey of pursuing an Education Specialist degree? At UM-Flint, we are proud to have many dedicated advisors to help you with your application, career exploration, and designing a plan of study. For academic advising, please reach out to your program/department of interest as listed here.
Advance Your Career in Education with an Online EdS Degree
Apply to the University of Michigan-Flint’s flexible online Education Specialist (EdS) degree program today to cultivate your expertise in educational leadership. Earn the EdS degree in 20 months and elevate your career to the next level.
Have more questions about the program? Request information.