What is a Preferred Name?
You may prefer to go by a name that is different from your legal name. This name will appear on class roster, email display and most unofficial records and documents. The university allows you to do this by setting a preferred name. You must set the preferred name by filling out the Personal Information Update form located in the Registrar's Office on our website under Commonly Used Forms or through your Student Information Systems (SIS) under the Personal Information tab. Some records, such as official transcript, financial aid documents, enrollment verification and paychecks require use of a legal name. Wherever possible, your preferred name will be used.

The Preferred Name Policy
Here is the text of the policy:
The university recognizes that as a community many of its members use names other than their legal names to identify themselves. As long as the use of this different name is not for the purposes of misrepresentation, the university acknowledges that a "preferred name" can and should be used wherever possible in the course of university business and education. Therefore, it is the policy of the university that any student, active or retired faculty or staff member, or alumni may choose to identify themselves within the university's information system with a preferred name in addition to the person's legal name. It is further understood that the person's preferred name shall be used in all university communications and reporting except where the use of the legal name is required by university business or legal need. The individual is free to determine the preferred name he or she wants to be known by in the university's information systems. However, inappropriate use of the preferred name policy (including but not limited to avoiding a legal obligation or misrepresentation) may cause for denying the request.

Preferred Name FAQ's
How do I set a Preferred Name?
You can set your Preferred Name by logging in to your Student Information System (SIS) under Personal Details.

Can I set my preferred name whatever I want?
Yes, but the university reserves the right to remove a preferred name if it is used inappropriately (such as for misrepresentation).

Can I use my preferred name for everything at the university?
No. Your legal name will continue to be used in business processes that require use of the legal name, such as for payroll records and student transcripts.

How can I get rid of the preferred name?
You can remove your Preferred Name by logging in to your Student Information Stystem (SIS) or fill out the Personal Information Change form on the Registrar’s website noting that you would like to remove the preferred name.

How do I correct or change my legal name for university systems?

  • Students can change their legal name by providing appropriate documentation to the Registrar's Office, 266 University Pavilion. Please call if you have questions (810) 762-3344, option 1. 
  • Employees can file a legal name change by completing the Address/Personal Data Form available on the HRRIS Forms Online page or contact the HR/Payroll Service Center (810-762-3150, 213 University Pavilion).