prospective students

If you are interested in attending the University of Michigan-Flint, or you have attended in the past and would like to return, you will need to apply for admission. Below is a checklist that will walk you through the steps to admission. During the application process, you will work with our staff and we will assist you in gathering all the information you need to apply. We can also do a preliminary evaluation of your transfer and military transcripts.

Getting Started with your Benefits

Applying to UM-Flint

Please note: University of Michigan will charge in-state tuition to any individual using education assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty Program), Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®), of title 38, United States Code, and/or the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9)) who lives in the State of Michigan while attending the University of Michigan (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).

Tuition Assistance Programs

Note: It is strongly recommended that you discuss utilizing tuition assistance with your Education Services Officer of your respective branch as well as your chain of command before deciding where and when to enroll.

More Financial Aid Options

Scholarship Programs

Requesting your Military Transcript

All Veterans Intent Forms must be submitted via your Student Information System (SIS). One form is required for each semester.

A veteran or member of the active armed forces, National Guard or Reserve component who is a student may be eligible for credit for educational experiences in the armed forces. Appropriate academic departments will determine transferability of course credits. Credit recommendations in the Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experiences in the Armed Forces (published by the American Council on Education) for military service school training will be considered for transfer credit as follows: (1) credit granted for college-level, baccalaureate-oriented training and education will be accepted following the standard transfer of credit policy, (2) vocational credit related to the student’s curriculum choice will be referred for consideration to the chair/director (faculty in the School of Health Professions and Studies and the School of Education and Human Services) of the department teaching related content, and (3) duplicate credit will not be considered. Applicability of military credit toward particular degree requirements is determined by the chair/director (faculty in SHPS and SEHS) of the department from which the degree is offered.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Use of military-themed imagery does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Department of Defense.