We Are Here to Help Students
The Office of Financial Aid provides financial assistance to students at the University of Michigan-Flint. This financial assistance includes grants, loans, scholarships, employment opportunities through work-study and more.
Understanding the financial aid process can be daunting. We will guide you through every step of the financial aid process.
NEW Verification Updates
Emergency Broadband Program
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC), with congressional approval, launched an Emergency Broadband Program in which Pell Grant recipients are eligible for funds to pay for internet service.
- $50 per month or $75 in Tribal areas
- Department of Education (ED) has contacted Pell Grant recipients about the benefit through an email:
- “firstname.lastname@example.org” with the subject line: “Apply for the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program.”
- Online application – Check the box that says “Yes, I am a Pell Grant recipient”. Now you have the ability to upload a copy of the email directly to the application. The email is what is used to get approved for the benefit.
- The benefit is slated to last until funding runs out or until six months after the pandemic is declared to have ended.
- Recipients will be notified when the benefit is winding down by the provider.
Refund Process Statement
If you received an email from JP Morgan Chase Bank requesting you to accept payment, this is a new process recently launched by the Cashier’s Office. Please visit their webpage for more information.
Start here: FAFSA
The Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) is the free application for federal student aid. It’s a good place to start putting together your personal plan for financing your education, and it’s important to get your application in as quickly as possible. Be sure to add the UM-Flint Federal School Code which is 002327.
Next: Schedule an appointment to discuss your financial aid plan with one of our experts.
Get to Know Student Accounts
When it comes time to pay for your tuition, the Cashier’s/Student Accounts Office is here to help you. These are the services the provide to students:
- Assessing tuition and fees to student accounts based on the courses a student has registered for. Makes any adjustments to tuition and fees based on classes added/dropped through the Office of the Registrar
- Disbursement of financial aid
- Sending bills to students. The first bill for incoming freshmen, transfers, or new graduate students are printed and mailed to the address on file. All subsequent bills will be sent via email.
- Assesses any late fees to the account
- Processes payments to student accounts via cash, check, credit card, or third party financial aid
- Releases stipend checks (excess financial aid funds) to students on an account by account basis via check or direct deposit
Financial Aid Statement
The Office of Financial Aid operates under many federal, state, and institutional guidelines. In addition, the office adheres to all ethical practices in all facets of delivering student financial aid. As a member institution of the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA), the office is bound by the code of conduct as established by our profession. UM-Flint also abides by the loan code of conduct and the ethical expectations of the university.
Cost of Attendance/Budget
SIS lists an ACTUAL budget (see award overview screen in SIS) used to calculate your financial aid awards. It is wise for you to plan your own budget, and assess the resources you will need to meet your actual expenses. Use the Cost of Attendance 2021/2022 Worksheet to calculate your budget, and then the amount you and your family will need to contribute or borrow for your education.
Instantly available to motivated students with strong academic records, our First-Year Merit Scholarship program offers awards ranging up to $7,000 a year, with limited full-ride awards available.
UM-Flint is committed to helping students earn their degree. Blue For You connects students to amazing scholarships, grants and resources that make a difference. Explore all the ways Blue For You provides outstanding support.