Consumer Information

In accordance with federal regulations set forth by the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, this guide contains a summary of consumer information that must be made available to all students at the University of Michigan-Flint. Each topic listed gives a brief description of the information that must be disclosed and explains how it may be obtained.  If you need assistance obtaining the information listed here, contact the Office of Financial Aid.

General Information about the University of Michigan-Flint

In carrying out their assigned responsibilities, many offices at the University of Michigan-Flint collect and maintain information about students. Although these records belong to the university, both university policy and federal law accord students a number of rights concerning these records. The Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) established the rules and regulations regarding access to and disclosure of student records.

To fulfill FERPA requirements, the university has established policies on student records. These policies outline a student’s rights regarding his/her records, where records about the student may be kept and maintained, what kinds of information are in those records, the conditions under which the student or anyone else may have access to information in those records, and what action a student can take if it is believed that the information in his/her record is inaccurate or that the student’s rights have been compromised. The policies on student records are available here. For more information, contact the Office of the Registrar.

For information and services for students with disabilities, contact Disability and Accessibility Support Services.

For information about the diversity of the university student body, contact the Office of Institutional Analysis.

Information regarding the estimated cost of attendance (including tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses) can be found here.

For actual tuition and fee charges, please contact the Cashier’s/Student Accounts.

For estimated tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board, and personal/miscellaneous expenses contact the Office of Financial Aid.

The university has a tuition refund policy that stipulates the amount of tuition and fees that are refunded to a student who drops one or more courses or withdraws from all classes during a term. In addition, certain refund policies may apply to out-of-state distance education students. See State Authorization and click on your state.

Withdrawal is the term used for the process of dropping all classes across all parts of term for a given semester. Students may withdraw from the semester until the final drop deadline. Once a course has received any grade, students are no longer eligible to withdraw from the semester. See Academic Calendar for deadline dates.

Withdrawing from classes also impacts any financial aid received for that semester. Information on the impact of withdrawing/disenrolling can be found here.

The federal government mandates that students who withdraw from all classes may only keep the financial aid (federal Title IV grant and loan assistance) they have “earned” up to the time of withdrawal. Funds that were disbursed in excess of the earned amount must be returned by the university and/or the student to the federal government.

Information on the university’s academic programs and degree offerings is available from the various schools/colleges and admitting offices (Undergraduate Admissions, Graduate Programs).

The University of Michigan-Flint has a system of shared governance and established bylaws. Specific information on the university’s faculty and instructional personnel is available through the campus directory.

Course Schedule

The course schedule may be found at the Office of the Registrar.

The University of Michigan-Flint is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission. Students may review copies of documents regarding entities that accredit, license, or approve the institution and its programs. Contact the Office of Institutional Analysis or visit the Accreditations page.

All transfer credit policies and requirements can be found through the Transfer Student section of the UM-Flint Admissions website or through the UM-Flint Catalog. Students can also enter currents into the UM-Flint Transfer Equivalency Database to check transferability.

Information about the university’s policies related to the use of copyright material, including peer-to-peer file sharing, may be found in the ITS document on HEOA Copyright Compliance Information.

Information on Student Financial Assistance
Information on Student Financial Assistance can be found on the Financial Aid website through the links listed below:

See Required Reading on the Financial Aid website.

  • Continued Eligibility for Aid
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress – This is the term used to denote a student’s successful completion of coursework toward a certificate or degree.  Students must maintain specific academic progress requirements to be eligible for financial aid.
  • Method & Frequency of Disbursements – Financial aid is disbursed (released) to students in different ways depending on the type of aid and other factors. Information about Method and Frequency of Disbursements can be found within the Required Reading document.
  • Terms & Conditions of Financial Aid for Aid Recipients (Please see pages 5-6 in Required Reading)
    • Work-Study Employment
    • Student Loans – Including Necessity of Repayment and Sample Repayment Schedule; Deferment or Cancellation for teaching or volunteer service such as Peace Corps, Armed Services, etc.

Information about the Net Price Calculator can be found here.

Access to the College Navigator website can be found here.

Information regarding arrangements with other institutions to provide instruction is available in two programs– Study Abroad and the National Student Exchange Program.

Information regarding voting can be found here.

Access to student activities can be found here.

Scholarship Fraud

According to the Federal Trade Commission, perpetrators of financial aid fraud often use the following lines to sell their scholarship services; students should avoid any scholarship service or website that claims the following:

  • “This scholarship is guaranteed or your money back.”
  • “You can’t get this information anywhere else.”
  • “I just need your credit card or bank account number to hold this scholarship.”
  • “We’ll do all the work.”
  • “This scholarship will cost some money.”
  • “You’ve been selected by a ‘national foundation’ to receive a scholarship” or “You’re a finalist” in a contest you never entered.

If you believe you have been the victim of scholarship fraud, wish to file a complaint, or want more information, call (877) FTC-HELP or see On November 5, 2000, Congress passed the College Scholarship Fraud Prevention Act to enhance protection against fraud in student financial assistance by establishing stricter sentencing guidelines for criminal financial aid fraud.

Student Outcomes

Graduation and Retention Rates are reported each year through the Office of Institutional Analysis. The university’s annual Common Data Set report has the most current information on these rates.

Health & Safety

The Department of Public Safety (DPS) is a professional, full-service law enforcement agency with responsibility for maintaining a safe environment on the properties of the University of Michigan-Flint. Information on DPS services including safety tips, crime statistics, parking, and emergency preparedness may be found at:

The Office of Environment, Health, and Safety oversee additional health and safety protocols for the entire campus community. A full list of reports and services can be found on the department website.

Vaccination Policies

Immunizations are recommended to protect your health and the health of others. We encourage you to come to college fully immunized. Immunizations are one of the most effective public health measures in preventing communicable diseases. Immunizations are not a university requirement. Students can register for classes without immunizations; however, academic programs or volunteer activities may have different requirements.

Additional information on communicable diseases can be found at Genesee County Health Department’s fact sheets.

Contact Information for Admitting Offices & Schools/Colleges


The Academic Affairs at the University of Michigan-Flint is comprised of six academic units:

For information on specific degree programs offered by each college and school can be found on the Academic Programs page.

The Board of Regents of the University of Michigan

The University of Michigan Board of Regents has oversight over all three U-M campuses, including the University of Michigan-Flint. Click here for the most current information for the Regents of the University of Michigan.

Nondiscrimination Policy Statement

The University of Michigan, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of Michigan is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.

Address inquiries or complaints to:
Interim Director of the Office for Institutional Equity
234 University Pavilion
303 E Kearsley Street
Flint, MI 48502-1950
Phone: (810) 237-6517
Email: [email protected]

Complaint Process

The university encourages students and prospective students to address complaints relating to the institution’s policies and consumer protection issues first with personnel in the office, department, school, or college that led to the complaint alleged. If needed, senior university administrators may also become involved to help resolve complaints. Learn more about the complaint process through the UM-Flint catalog, or contact the Office of the Registrar or the Office of the Dean of Students regarding any concerns or complaints.

Website Privacy Policy

The University of Michigan-Flint provides a transparent explanation of the privacy policy for its website,, and how information that is collected by the university is used and protected. The full policy can be found here.

Subject to Change

Because of the nature of federal, state, and institutional guidelines affecting financial aid programs, the information contained in this website is subject to change.

Code of Conduct for Student Loans Addendum

Although the University of Michigan-Flint’s conflict of interest policies would already preclude the conduct prohibited by 34 C.F.R. § 668.14(b)(27), 1 for clarity, UM-Flint hereby establishes, as an addendum to the UM-Flint’s Conflict of Interest and Conflict of Commitment Policy for Staff (UM-Flint Staff COI/COC Policy), the code of conduct in regards to private student loans.2

The responsibility for the administration of this code of conduct and its enforcement resides with the UM-Flint Executive Officers.

This code of conduct is applicable to all officers, employees, and agents of UM-Flint and any affiliated organizations with responsibilities (directly or indirectly) with respect to private student loans. UM-Flint officers, employees, and agents subject to this policy are prohibited from the following actions, either on their own behalf or on behalf of UM-Flint:

  1. Employees attending conferences or workshops are not to accept any gift, free meal or other services from a student loan lender, servicer or guaranty agency.
  2. Any attempt by a lender, servicer or guaranty agency to solicit student loan business by communicating with any employee other than a member of the administrative staff or by means contrary to our office or University policy is to be reported to the Executive Director at the earliest opportunity.
  3. UM-Flint will not accept any offer of assistance with any financial aid function from an outside entity.
  4. UM-Flint staff will not direct any student to a particular lender or refuse to certify any legitimate and legal loan application submitted by a student.
  5. The office will not accept any gift or recognition from a lender, servicer or guaranty agency.
  6. Any offer to serve on any advisory board is to be approved by the Executive Director or the Vice Provost.
  7. UM-Flint will not accept any offer of funds for a UM-Flint private loan program from any lender.
  8. UM-Flint will not enter into any revenue-sharing agreement with any lender. Any contractual agreement between UM-Flint and a lender to provide loan funds to students must not contain any financial benefit to the University.
  9. Any employee that questions an offer or receipt of a gift or remuneration, or request for consulting services is to contact the Executive Director prior to accepting.
  10. Employees doing consulting work for pay are required to do so on their own time; using compensation time or personal leave time.
  11. Employees doing consulting work for pay may not use their University Purchasing Card for any expenditure associated with the outside employment. Employees doing consulting work with no pay and without expectation of reimbursement for travel expenses by the client must get permission before accepting from the Executive Director.
  12. Outside consulting work is encouraged and anything learned from the assignment that will be of benefit to office operations is to be shared with administrative staff. Any outside consulting work must be approved by a supervisor with final approval from the Executive Director.

1 This regulation requires all institutions that participate in the federal Title IV student loan programs to adopt a code of conduct that meets the requirements of 34 C.F.R. § 601.21.2 Because the University of Michigan-Flint does not participate in the FFEL Program, the regulation cited applies to the University only as its terms relate to private education loans.