Federal loans are a form of aid that will require repayment. Federal student loans allow students to borrow at special fixed interest rates and with flexible repayment plans. Students must complete the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) and be an eligible student to qualify for federal student loans. While there are private or alternative loans available, it is important to pursue federal student loans first.
- Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
- Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
- Graduate Direct PLUS Loan
- Parent Direct PLUS Loan
In a response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the U.S. Department of Education has placed all federal student loans in a temporary administrative forbearance through January 31, 2021. For more detailed information, please visit studentaid.gov/coronavirus.
Private student loans are available to students via lenders outside of the federal student loans available from the federal government. It is recommended that any student access their yearly federal loan borrowing limit before considering a private loan. It is the responsibility of the student to select a lender, complete the application process and credit check, and to make sure that the approved loan funds reach the school in order to pay for any outstanding balance.
The Office of Financial Aid cannot provide any guidance in selecting a lender. We recommend that you review many private loan lenders and research their policies and loan terms to decide which lender is best for you. We will process a private loan with the lender of your choice.
Emergency loans are made available to currently enrolled students with temporary financial problems.
- Students must have a 2.0 cumulative GPA and be in good Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
- Students must be enrolled in the semester for which the loan is to be paid.
- Repayment is expected within 30 days.
- A maximum of three emergency loans will be granted while attending UM-Flint.
- The maximum amount a student may borrow in any semester is $500. The minimum request is $25.
- Emergency Loans which meet the following criteria should be accompanied by adequate documentation of the circumstances and applicants must show resources sufficient to repay the amount of the loan requested.
- Loans intended to pay a debt to a particular company (or individual); the check will be made payable to the company.
- Recipients must demonstrate financial need. Types of emergency situations for which these loans may be granted are:
- housing evictions
- utility shut-offs
- transportation repairs
- child care
- medical/dental emergencies
- Approval of these loans is at the discretion of the Emergency Loan Committee.