Below are websites that provide information on veterans benefits and how to file/ask for them. Accordingly, there are many sites that explain how to obtain books, military/medical records, and healthcare information. Please pass this information on to every veteran you know. Nearly 100 percent of this information is free and available for all veterans. The only catch is you have to ask for it because they won’t tell you about a specific benefit unless you ask for it. You need to know what questions to ask so the right doors open for you, and then be ready to have an advocate who is willing to work with and for you, stay in the process, and press for your rights and your best interests.

Frequently Asked Questions



State of Michigan



VA Contact Information

Buddy-to-Buddy Veteran Mentorship Initiative

Now administered by the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency, the Buddy-to-Buddy Veteran Mentorship Initiative is a peer-to-peer outreach program that trains veterans to provide peer support and linkage to needed resources for Michigan’s service members and veterans of all eras.  Please contact the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency if you are interested in learning more about the Buddy-to-Buddy Program, would like to become a volunteer, or are seeking assistance.

If you are an honorably discharged veteran interested in volunteering, please contact the Michigan Veterans Resource Service Center at 1-800-MICH-VET.

The Buddy-to-Buddy Program cannot provide an immediate response in an emergency. If you or someone you know needs immediate assistance, please contact one of the following resources:

  • If you or someone you know is currently in the act of harming him/herself and/or in immediate need of medical attention, call 911 immediately.
  • If you are a veteran in emotional distress or thinking about suicide, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at (800) 273-TALK (8255) and press 1 for veterans.