Be involved in the SOM Alumni Community
UM-Flint SOM has a strong alumni network of nearly 9,000 UM-Flint business alumni. As our students graduate and move on to their successful professional careers, the School of Management is here to support alumni in their professional endeavors.
As your alma mater, we provide multiple opportunities for alumni to engage.
- Keeping informed on SOM news
- Attending events
- Sharing your story
As our students turn their tassels and become graduates of the University of Michigan-Flint, we are committed to engaging our alumni and being a part of your growing professional careers, providing opportunities to give back, and sharing the latest SOM news!
Ways to Give Back as a SOM Alumni
Impact the next generation of UM-Flint Wolverines by being a volunteer! Most of our volunteer opportunities range from an hour to a day commitment. We welcome alumni to participate in the following activities:
- Be a panelist at one of the multiple Alumni Career Panels hosted throughout the year
- Be a guest speaker in a classroom, at Honors dinner or a graduate orientation
- Have a student job shadow you for a day
- Host a company tour where you work
- Have a long-term mentor relationship
- Share your college/career experience for the monthly aMaizeing Alumni feature on the SOM Blog
- Volunteer at commencement
- Write Blue Notes to inspire accepted students to become Wolverines at the University of Michigan-Flint!
- Advertise an internship/career opportunity to SOM students. Send potential career opportunities to Antonio Riggs, Associate Director of Student Career Advancement & Success
- Record a video about your experience in the program to be shown at orientation
- Host a table at the SOM career fairs to network or hire UM-Flint students within your company
- And much more!
Interested in something else or have a different volunteer experience in mind? Contact Anna Swartz, SOM Alumni Liaison,
with your ideas or for upcoming opportunities.
Connect with Us
Stay connected to the School of Management using your preferred method of communication!
Follow our Facebook page for all the latest news and upcoming events. Our Instagram page includes regularly updated content, event reminders, interactive stories/reels, student/alumni highlights, and more! Twitter is a great location to see event reminders or find out what’s happening in the UM-Flint community.
Lastly, LinkedIn may be one of the best places for our alumni to be following us! When following our LinkedIn account, we can see where you are in your career. We share upcoming events, professional development opportunities, student/alumni stories, community/UM-Flint updates, job postings, and more with our followers. Does your LinkedIn list the University of Michigan-Flint or University of Michigan-Flint School of Management in your education section? LinkedIn is a great way to find other UM-Flint alumni! We encourage you to show your school spirit on your profile!
SOM Student/Alumni Network
Expand your network! The UM-Flint School of Management invites SOM students and SOM alumni to be a member of the Student/Alumni Network LinkedIn group. In this group, you will be able to meet current students and other alum, share internships, and jobs, exchange ideas, share professional development or training, give advice, and more! Start engaging: go.umflint.edu/SOMNetwork.
UM-Flint SOM Graduate Social Network
Make the most of your School of Management graduate education by getting to know your peers and sharing knowledge, resources, know-how, and connections during and beyond your time at UM-Flint. Join the UMF-SOM Graduate Social Network for UM Flint’s current and former graduate business students. The network is student-managed and is a private space for you to connect, communicate & coordinate with your peers.
The School of Management regularly sends out Alumni Newsletters. Every quarter, expect a newsletter to your inbox containing details on upcoming events, faculty updates, student highlights, dean’s report, and more exclusive details just for our alumni stakeholders.
We are proud of our alumni and want to continuously improve our school and programs. Some ways alumni can help progress our business programs is to regularly update their alumni profiles as your career progresses or when your contact information changes. Our rankings and recognitions depend on alumni surveys which are sent out every two years via email.
The School of Management hosts several alumni-specific events ranging from distinguished speaker series, alumni social hours or coffee hours, and more. Alumni can participate in any of the School of Management events! Like when you were a student, SOM hosts career fairs, alumni panels, career conversations, professional development workshops, and more.
As an alum, we also encourage you to stay connected with the business student clubs and attend their events as they occasionally invite business leaders to present to their organization. To find upcoming events, visit the UM-Flint events page and filter events by affiliation to alumni.
ALUMNI FEATURES | School of Management
We are looking for outstanding SOM alumni to share their college and professional experience with us to use for our monthly alumni spotlight series: aMaizeing Alumni. It takes less than 20 minutes to complete the form! More alumni features are found on the UM-Flint School of Management Blog.
Invest in the School of Management
Support UM-Flint’s School of Management Dean’s Excellence Fund. This fund directly supports students’ success by awarding student scholarships, professional development and traveling, community engagement, technology such as the SOM Laptop Loaner Program, databases, and more. Give now!
If you have questions about giving or would like to contribute a specific gift, please contact Melissa Stephens-Farrell, Major Gifts Officer, in the University Advancement department.
There are several additional benefits from UM Alumni Associaion and from the School of Management. Some of the major benefits are listed below:
- The Alumni Career Support Scholarship offers financial support to alumni that are seeking a career change or pivot. The 30-day Career Design Fellowship program coaches UM-Alumni on how to find a fulfilling and rewarding career. The scholarship supports the enrollment in the program.
- The Alumni Education Gateway (AEG) hosts news and information on academic resources, courses, current events, seminars, and research of the University and its faculty to global alumni. Subscribe to start receiving tailor news to your inbox.
- The Alumni Career Program offers many resources from career webinars, career guides, job search 101, job boards, self-assessment, career coaches, LinkedIn Learning course access, and more so graduates can reach their full potential in their professional occupation! Note: Some of these resources require an Alumni Association membership.
- Connect with other alumni by joining or starting discussions around what matters most to you through Communities & Clubs on the UM Alumni Association page. Create your profile now and start accessing forums, the alumni directory, UM clubs near you, and affiliate groups. Start searching for fellow Wolverines today across all three campuses!
- The Flint and Genesee Group offers a variety of professional development events and training workshops. The School of Management will cover the entry cost for a variety of professional development workshops and seminars to students and alumni. For more information, contact Anna Swartz, [email protected].
Additional alumni resources and information can be found on the University of Michigan-Flint Alumni Relations website.