The Hagerman Center is excited to announce that we will be awarding 53 entrepreneurial prizes to UM-Flint students for the 2020/21 academic year ranging from $100-$2,000. Thank you to the C.S. Mott Foundation for sponsoring Zillion Solutions!
What is Zillion Solutions?
Do you have a solution to a problem? Zillion Solutions is a campus-wide competition where graduate, undergraduate students of all majors (including undecided students), and Deep/Early College students make a short video or Powerpoint describing their unique idea for a new product or service that will solve a problem.
The videos are shorter than 2 minutes, so entering takes no time! Just use your phone or if you don’t like filming yourself just make a Powerpoint (no more than 5 slides)! View Submission Template
Win up to $2,850 in minutes. The Hagerman Center or Entrepreneurs Society or Entrepreneurs Society will never pursue your idea! Their goal is to help you launch it!
- 53 Prizes totaling: more than $10,000
- Add a great line to your resume
- Network and meet other entrepreneurs in the UM-Flint/Flint community
- Have access to resources to help get your idea off the ground from the Hagerman Center and 100K Ideas
- Video Submission Deadline: March 1, 2021
- Announce Semi Finalist Winners: March 21, 2021
- Announce Finalist Winners: March 31, 2021
- Zillion Solutions Virtual Award Ceremony: April 7, 2021, at 5:30 PM via Zoom. Event information and Zoom link listed here.
Earn 1 of 40 semi finalists $100 awards! Multiple UM-Flint graduate/undergraduate/early college students or student teams from each school/college, undecided majors, and Deep/Early College Program will be selected as semifinalists.
From the semi finalist winners, each UM-Flint school/college (ie. College of Arts & Sciences- STEM, School of Nursing, School of Management, etc) will be chosen as a finalist.
- $250 – College of Arts & Science – Arts & Humanities
- $250 – College of Arts & Science – Social Sciences
- $250 – College of Arts & Science – STEM
- $250 – School of Education & Human Services
- $250 – College of Health Sciences
- $250 – School of Management
- $250 – School of Nursing
- $250 – Undecided Majors
- $250 – DEEP Program/Early College Program
Along with winning their category and $250, each winner will receive a free advising session worth $200 on how to start their idea at 100K Ideas.
The nine graduate/undergraduate/early college students or student teams will then compete head to head for the $2,000 grand prize, $1,000 first runner up, $500 second runner up, and $500 fan favorite award. One student/student team can win up to $2,850!
Winners will then compete with each other for the university-wide awards:
- $2,000 – Grand Prize
- $1,000 – 1st Runner up
- $500 – 2nd Runner up
- $500 – Fan Favorite Award
* All prizes are subject to financial aid policies. Individuals winning $500 or less will receive their award in the form of an all-purpose gift card. The winners must be enrolled in either Spring 2020, Summer 2020. Fall 2020 or Winter 2021 semesters.
General Rules & Information
- Videos must be shorter than two minutes.
- Powerpoints are an acceptable submission. Please keep powerpoints under 15 slides. Powerpoints do not need to include voice-over.
- Each team must include one or more students enrolled at UM-Flint during Spring 2020, Summer 2020, Fall 2020, or Winter 2021 semesters. No limit on group size or interdisciplinary collaborations.
- UM-Flint students (but not others) may be on more than one team. However, if a student is on more than one team that makes it to the finals, s/he will have to choose one team with which to continue the competition.
- The solution must be a product or service. The exact product or service can’t already exist. It can, however, be a minor modification to an existing product or service, if the modification more effectively solves a problem.
- Winners may use the award in any way they wish. We strongly encourage them to use the winnings to start a venture. All prizes are subject to financial aid requirements. Individuals winning $500 or less will receive their award in the form of an all-purpose gift card.
- For teams with members from different schools and colleges within UM-Flint, on the submission form check the boxes for each of the schools/colleges.
- The solution clearly solves a problem
- The solution provides a clear benefit over current competition/alternative
- Creative approach to an idea
- Style of presentation (e.g., entertainment value, presented idea creatively, etc).
Submission Format & Guidelines
- The video must be less than two minutes or must be a PowerPoint.
- The suggested video/PowerPoint structure:
- Introduce yourself: name(s), category (e.g., School of Management, College of Arts and Science-STEM,), class rank, (e.g., Freshman, Senior, Master’s Student).
- Explain your solution! What is the problem you are trying to solve, and how will your solution, idea, or innovation solve it? Follow along with the Idea Canvas!
- Briefly describe the competition/alternative and explain how your product/service is better.
- Be as professional or casual as you would like. There are no limits on creativity or enthusiasm, but no profanity, please!
- Your video/PowerPoint submission can be simple and we are judging on YOUR IDEA. If you don’t like recording yourself, we suggest you turn in a PowerPoint presentation of your idea! If you are selected as a semifinalist, you will need to revamp your Powerpoint presentation in a video.
Interested in Entrepreneurship?
Take Introduction to Entrepreneurship: EIM340! EIM340 counts towards the Social Science General Education requirement! Learn how to make more money pursuing your passion, no group projects, and engaging entrepreneurial projects! We also offer an Entrepreneurship minor with no prerequisite courses for most students!