The Hagerman Center is excited to award dozens of prizes ranging from $100 to $2000 to UM-Flint students for the 2021/22 academic year!
What is Zillion Solutions?
Do you have a solution to a problem? Zillion Solutions is a campus-wide competition where graduate, undergraduate students of all majors (including undecided students), and Deep/Early College students make a short video or Powerpoint describing their unique idea for a new product or service that will solve a problem.
Entering takes no time; investing a couple minutes now can win you up to $2,750! The video can be a two minute or less selfie. The PowerPoint should be five or fewer slides. Just follow the Submission Template.
The Hagerman Center will never pursue your idea! Our goal is to help you launch it!
- Dozen of prizes ranging from $100 to $2,000
- Add a great line to your resume
- Network and meet other entrepreneurs in the UM-Flint/Flint community
To get your idea off the ground, 100K Ideas will give all participants extensive free help, normally costing $200.
- Submission dates and more will be announced in August. Submissions will close in the Winter 2022 semester.
A team from each UM-Flint school/college (ie. College of Arts & Sciences- STEM, School of Nursing, School of Education and Human Services, etc.,). is guaranteed to be one of nine finalists and win $250.
- $250 – College of Arts & Science – Arts & Humanities
- $250 – College of Arts & Science – Social Sciences
- $250 – College of Arts & Science – STEM
- $250 – School of Education & Human Services
- $250 – College of Health Sciences
- $250 – School of Management
- $250 – School of Nursing
- $250 – Undecided Majors
- $250 – DEEP Program/Early College Program
The nine students or teams will then compete for thousands of dollars. One student/student team can win $2,750!
- $2,000 – Grand Prize
- $1,000 – 1st Runner up
- $500 – 2nd Runner up
- $500 – Fan Favorite Award
* All prizes are subject to financial aid policies. Individuals winning $500 or less will receive their award in the form of an Amazon gift card. The winners must be enrolled in either Spring 2021, Summer 2021. Fall 2021 or Winter 2022 semesters
General Rules & Information
- You can submit either:
- a quick 2 minute or less video or,
- a short five slide or fewer PowerPoint, the PowerPoint does not need to include voice over.
- Each team must include one or more students enrolled at UM-Flint during Spring 2021, Summer 2021, Fall 2021 or Winter 2022 semesters. No limit on group size or interdisciplinary collaborations.
- UM-Flint students (but not others) may be on more than one team. However, if a student is on more than one team that makes it to the finals, s/he will have to choose one team with which to continue the competition.
- The solution must be a product or service. The exact product or service can’t already exist. It can, however,
- be a minor modification to an existing product or service, if the modification more effectively solves a problem.
- be unique within a specific geographic area (e.g., Flint) where it is currently unavailable, even if it already exists in other areas.
- The solution clearly solves a problem
- Provides a clear benefit over current competition/alternative and is creative
- Creative approach to an idea
Submission Format & Guidelines
- The video must be less than two minutes or the PowerPoints must be five or fewer slides. Submitters who used PowerPoints and makes it to the semifinals will need to replace the PowerPoint with a video. Videos should use an MP4 format.
- The suggested video/PowerPoint structure is below and on the Submission Template. Just follow along!
- Introduce yourself: name(s), category (e.g., School of Management, College of Arts and Science-STEM,), class rank, (e.g., Freshman, Senior, Master’s Student), and existing solutions that are similar to your idea.
- Explain your solution! What is the problem you are trying to solve, and how will your solution, idea, or innovation solve it?
- What are your goals
Be as professional or casual as you would like.
Your video/PowerPoint submission can be simple and we are judging on YOUR IDEA.
You can increase your chances of winning by submitting as many ideas as you can think of.
Interested in Entrepreneurship?
Take Introduction to Entrepreneurship: EIM340! EIM340 counts towards the Social Science General Education requirement! Learn how to make more money pursuing your passion. There are engaging entrepreneurial projects and no group work! We also offer an Entrepreneurship minor with no prerequisite courses for most students!