International Student Services

F1 Visa & Immigration

All full-time, degree-seeking international students are eligible for an F-1 visa. Most University of Michigan-Flint international students hold F-1 visa status, however, some students may be eligible for both a J-1 visa and an F-1 visa. In this case, you may have to choose which one is best for you. For more information about F1 Visa, click here.

J1 Visa & Immigration

To be eligible for a J-1 visa at least 50% of your total financial support must be from a source other than personal or family funds. This financial support may be a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship from an external funding source such as your home government, a corporate sponsor, or the University of Michigan-Flint. Exchange students and visiting staff and students should apply for a J1 Visa. Students with only personal or family funding are NOT eligible for a J-1 visa. For more information about J1 Visa, click here.

Prospective Students

Visit International Admissions for more information about International Undergraduate, Graduate, and Transfer Students.

Incoming Students

Congratulations from the Center for Global Engagement on your admission to the University of Michigan-Flint! Given the current global COVID-19 situation, we know that you are concerned about getting a U.S. student visa and arriving in time for the fall semester. We want to assure you that despite the challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic, the University of Michigan- Flint will continue to provide you with the current information you need to successfully navigate your way here. Click here to begin your enrollment process and further steps.