Health Insurance

If you are an F-1 or J-1 international student or a J-1 scholar whose Form I-20 or DS-2019 was issued by the University of Michigan-Flint, you are required to have health insurance coverage for yourself and any F-2 or J-2 dependents while at the UM-Flint. F-1 and J-1 visa holders at UM-Flint are automatically enrolled in health insurance coverage. The university’s health plan is Blue Care Network. F-1 students may complete an insurance waiver if they provide proof of adequate coverage through another health insurance company. Please find the waiver information below. 

This section provides the following information on the UM-Flint health insurance requirement and the UM-Flint International Student/Scholar Health Insurance Plan:

Insurance Premiums for 9/1/2024 – 8/31/2025Monthly
Student/Scholar and One Dependent$492.28
Student/Scholar and Two or More Dependents$735.67

BCN Member Account
If you are a new student, at the beginning of each semester you will receive an email with your “enrollee ID”, which will allow you to create your member account by following the instructions on the BCN website. Your member account will give you access to your electronic ID card and will allow you to check your coverage, claims, and more on your computer, smartphone, or tablet. Please enroll in your account as soon as possible.

Insurance Card
International students and scholars enrolled in the U-M International Student/Scholar Health Insurance Plan will receive. You will have access to your virtual card, once you create your BCN member account.

Annual Deductible, Copay, & Coinsurance
Please refer to the BCBSM Member guide and website for up-to-date deductible, copay, and coinsurance information.

Primary Care Physician
BCN will assign you a Primary Care Physician. You can change your PCP at any time using your BCN Member Account. You are not required to get a referral from your PCP prior to receiving health care. Find an in-network PCP using the BCBSM website.

If your Form I-20 or DS-2019 was issued by the UM-Flint, you will attend a Mandatory Orientation for Students or for Scholars when you arrive in Flint. As soon as you have completed the mandatory check-in process, you and your accompanying F-2 or J-2 dependents will be automatically enrolled in the UM-Flint International Student/Scholar Health Insurance Plan through the end date on your Form I-20 or DS-2019, so that you can be certain that you are covered by adequate health insurance.

Your Responsibilities as a Policy Holder

To comply with UM-Flint insurance requirements, you must ensure that you are enrolled in UM-Flint International Student/Scholar Health Insurance for the entire time you are a student or scholar at the University. At times, however, you may need to make changes to your plan. For example:

Adding Dependents to Your Plan

If you removed your F-2 or J-2 dependents because they were going to join you later, you need to add them to your IHI plan as soon as they arrive in the U.S. Remember that they must have health insurance too. Email copies of their plane tickets and I-94s to [email protected] requesting to add them.

If your dependents are not F-2 or J-2 they are not required to have health insurance, but you can add them to your policy.  If you choose to add them, please contact the CGE at [email protected]. You will need to bring copies of your marriage license or certificate and the birth certificates of your children.

Removing Dependents

If your dependents leave the U.S., you can remove them from your plan by emailing [email protected]. You must include a copy of your F-2 or J-2 spouse and dependents’ flight ticket or confirmation as documentation of their departure date. 

Leaving U-M Early

If you leave U-M permanently before the end date of your I-20 or DS-2019, it is your responsibility to submit a departure form. Leaving UM-Flint or not enrolling in classes does not automatically cancel your IHI plan.

If you do not do submit a departure form, the Center for Global Engagement will not know that you have ended your F-1 or J-1 stay and you will be billed for your IHI plan through SIS until the end date on your I-20, DS-2019.

Temporary Absence from the U.S.

If you will be out of the U.S. for at least two calendar months, you may apply for a suspension of your required health insurance. In order to apply for this suspension, you must complete and submit your Health Insurance cancellation/suspension form in iService within 30 days of your departure from the U.S., along with evidence that you have purchased tickets and have confirmed reservations for your departure and return dates. An example of a person absent from the U.S. for two calendar months would be someone who left the U.S. on May 15 and returned on August 2, since they would be absent from the U.S. for all of June, July as well as half of May.  The student’s bill would reflect a charge for two months of coverage instead of four months. Since the plan cannot be prorated, only full months can be suspended.

If you are leaving the United States in order to participate in a UM-Flint sponsored educational activity, such as a study abroad program, you are not eligible to cancel your international health insurance.

Do not allow your insurance coverage to lapse. Without health insurance, you are in violation of UM-Flint regulations, and you are at great financial risk if you have an accident or get sick

If you have health insurance coverage that meets UM-Flint requirements, you may apply to waive the UMich BCBSM International Student and Scholar Health Insurance plan. In order to meet UM-Flint requirements, your health insurance must, in the judgment of the University, provide coverage that is at least comparable to the coverage described in the Blue Care Network of Michigan — Member Guide. In order to be considered “comparable coverage”, an insurance plan must, at a minimum, meet all of the UM-Flint Health Insurance Standards. Applying to waive the insurance does not guarantee your alternative insurance will be waived.

Here are the minimum requirements:

  • Is this plan in full compliance with applicable federal law (specifically Title IX of Education Amendments of 1972, as amended by the Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987)?
    Specific components of these laws include pregnancy treated as any other medical condition. Insurance plans that exclude maternity coverage or severely limit it will not be accepted. Maternity coverage must be similar to coverage for other medical conditions. 
  • Is this insurance plan compliant with the Affordable Care Act?
    This means, for example, that your plan:
    • Cannot have an annual or lifetime limit on benefits
    • Must have 100% coverage for preventive care
    • Cannot exclude or limit coverage for pre-existing conditions.
  • Does this insurance plan cover at least 80% of usual and customary charges in Flint, Michigan area for hospital rooms, board, miscellaneous hospital expenses, physician expenses in and out of the hospital, ambulance service, outpatient labs, x-rays, and diagnostic tests?
    The plan may not contain specific limitations for the treatment of medical conditions relative to standard hospital or outpatient care. For example, an insurance plan that limited coverage of hospital room and board to $500 or limited coverage of ambulance costs to $350 would not be acceptable.
  • Does the insurance plan have a deductible of no more than $100 per policy year or $200 per policy for families?
  • Does this insurance plan cover at least 90% of the usual and customary charges for prescription drugs?
  • Does this insurance plan cover both inpatient and outpatient mental health treatment and cover treatment for substance abuse (both alcohol and drug abuse)?
  • Does this insurance plan cover treatment for self-inflicted injuries and services related to suicide?
  • Any “Yes” answers from the following statements are not comparable and will not be accepted.
  • Does this insurance cover “emergencies only”?
  • Is this Travel Insurance?
  • Is this coverage MediShare or another form of a cost-sharing arrangement that is not true medical insurance?
  • Are there any differences between coverage for the primary insured and dependents? If yes, please specify: ______________________________________________

To apply for a health insurance waiver, please complete the Health Insurance Waiver Request Form in IService.

Waiver Deadline Dates
Fall SemesterOct. 1
Winter SemesterFeb. 1
Spring/Summer VacationJune 1

**If you are an Exchange Student, it is recommended that you submit this form 30 days before your arrival. 

How do I get my insurance card?
Your virtual ID card will be available on the BCN website or through their mobile app as soon as you register for your member account. Search BCBSM in the App Store or in Google Play to download the app.

If you recently arrived at UM-Flint, your virtual insurance card may not be available on the BCN website until about two weeks after you complete your Orientation. Please contact the CGE if you need your insurance card is not yet available virtually and you need it. 

I started/ended my insurance in the middle of the month. Why am I being charged for the whole month?
The minimum charge for insurance is one calendar month (for example, all of August or all of September). Your insurance charge cannot be prorated (charged for a partial month). So, if you are covered for any part of a month under this plan, you will have to pay for the whole month.

Where can I get my UM-Flint International Student/Scholar Health Insurance bill?
You will not receive a bill in the mail for your IHI; you will be billed through your student account. 

I received a bill from the hospital/doctor, what do I do? I paid for treatment at the hospital, how can I get my money back?
Sometimes, the hospital does not bill the insurance company. Depending on your situation, you might need to call the hospital or file a claim with the insurance company. Please call the hospital or doctor’s office and ask them to bill your insurance. Provide your insurance information. If they are unable to resend the bill or bill insurance, please contact BCBSM or submit a claim through the BCBSM web portal. 

How do I get coverage abroad? Are there any problems if my bills are not in English?
Your plan provides full medical coverage while traveling abroad through the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core program, but you may have to pay for the treatment and then file a claim. You can contact Global Core at 800-810-2583 or collect at 804-673-1177. If your bills are in a different language, the insurance company will translate them to evaluate your claim.

How do I make a BCBSM account?
All international students and scholars enrolled in the BCN plan receive an email from [email protected] with an insurance ID (enrollee ID). Follow the instructions in that email to create your BCN member account.

How do I find a doctor? 
Please go to the “Find a Doctor” section of the BCBSM UMich Health Plan webpage and search under Flint.

What is an explanation of benefits? 
An Explanation of Benefits document is not a bill. This document explains which portions of your insurance claim are covered by insurance, and which portions are your responsibility. If you have questions about your EOB, you should contact BCBSM.

What does my BCBSM insurance cover?
The UM-Flint International Student/Scholar Health Insurance covers treatment when you are sick, injured or pregnant, as well as routine and preventive care. Your Insurance Plan Documents have more information about exactly what is and is not covered. Always refer to your Plan Documents and policy online for the most up-to-date information. 

Vision: The plan includes routine eye exams in-network twice per policy year and one office visit for the fitting of prescription contact lenses per policy year.  Glasses and contact lenses are not covered.

Dental: The plan covers routine exams and cleanings twice a year, and also covers emergency pain relief, fillings, and the extraction of impacted wisdom teeth. For additional information and resources, please refer to the Dental Care section.

Preventive care: This plan also covers what we call preventive care. Preventive care includes your annual physical, annual visit to the gynecologist, routine tests or screening, and immunizations. For more information on these benefits, see the “Preventive Services” section of your Member Guide.

Medical evacuation to your home country is covered, as well as repatriation. Medical evacuation occurs when you are too ill to complete your stay at the UM-Flint, and you must return to your home country. In this case, the medical costs of your return trip will be covered by the insurance company. Repatriation refers to the shipment of your body back to your home country in the event of your death.

Are my prescriptions covered? 
Prescription drugs are covered at 90%. If you purchase the medication at any Blue Care Network participating pharmacy, you will only be required to pay 10% at the time you buy your medication.  The Prescription Drugs section of your Member Guide explains your insurance plan’s prescription drug coverage.

What happens if I need medical care outside of the US?
If you need medical attention when you are outside of the United States, this policy will cover the costs for those medical expenses, but you may have to pay for treatment when you receive it and submit a claim to the insurance company afterward. When filing a claim for medical treatment received outside the U.S., remember to keep all receipts of any bills paid and make copies of those receipts. Contact BCBSM for up-to-date reimbursement information.

How do I contact BCBSM? 
You can contact BCBSM through their website, or the phone number on your insurance card. Important Phone Numbers

Who do I contact in case of a life-threatening emergency? (Someone has passed out, a major car accident, etc)
Call 911. The operator will assist you. This is the general emergency number in the US and should only be used for major emergencies.

Who do I contact in case of an emergency on campus?
If the situation is life-threatening, call 911. Otherwise, please contact the UM-Flint Department of Public Safety at +1-810-762-3333.