International Student Resources

Health Insurance

If you are an F-1 or J-1 international student or a J-1 scholar whose Form I-20 or DS-2019 was issued by the University of Michigan-Flint, you are required to have health insurance coverage for yourself and any F-2 or J-2 dependents while at the University of Michigan-Flint (including OPT). Health insurance coverage is coordinated through the Center for Global Engagement. Students are enrolled in the university’s plan unless the student provides proof of coverage from another health insurance that is approved as an alternative. The university’s health plan is Blue Care Network (BCN).

For information on the UM-Flint health insurance requirement and the UM-Flint International Student/Scholar Health Insurance (IHI) Plan, click here.


F-1 students are eligible to work on-campus while attending classes. The work does not need to be related to your field of study. You must maintain legal F-1 status while engaging in on-campus employment. For information about requirements, opportunities and OPT click here.

Life in Flint

Explore Flint as well as take a look at UM Flint’s budding Campus Life. Also, seize the opportunity to get the best out of your university experience by living in Housing on campus.