The University of Michigan offers services, guidance, and advice on transitioning from graduation to employment. Here are resources to be prepared for work in the U.S.:
- Cover Letter Guidelines
- Resume Guidelines
- Action Verbs for Cover Letters & Resumes
- My World Abroad
- Global Talent Retention Initiative of Michigan
Optional Practical Training (OPT) – Post-graduation/STEM
Authorization for “temporary employment authorization directly related to the field of study.
- OPT employment authorization is granted for 12 months typically after completion of degree requirements.
- A student can apply for OPT up to 90 days prior to the program end date and up to 60 days after the program end date.
- It is possible to file the I-765 form (OPT) after graduation; however, we do not recommend it as the USCIS processing times vary and you may lose some of your 12-month employment authorization.
University of Michigan-Flint alumni are part of the University of Michigan alumni body. The Office of Alumni Relations at UM-Flint is here for you.
Keeping your connection to UM-Flint is important. That is why Alumni Relations offers resources, events, and a connection to the campus that our graduates find invaluable.
Stay in touch, share your stories, get involved, and remain true blue with your university.