Student health & well-being

The University of Michigan-Flint is committed to creating an environment that supports all students’ health and well-being. UM-Flint students have access to departments and staff members who provide academic, health, and extra-curricular support and guidance.

What is well-being? 

Well-being is the journey we take, one step and one choice at a time, to care for ourselves. It’s how we appraise and feel about our lives, including success in school and all other aspects. It’s personal, family and friends, community, and beyond.

The University of Michigan highlights eight dimensions of well-being:

Physical: The role that you take in maintaining your body for strength, vitality and energy.

Emotional/Mental: Being aware and managing your feelings, being at peace with who you are, and having the tools you need to weather life’s ups and downs.

Environmental: Reflects the impact your environment (home, school, city, planet) has on you and the impact you have on the environment.

Financial: Your relationship with money and skills for managing resources, as well as your ability to make good consumer choices and seek out appropriate financial opportunities.

Occupational: The work you choose to do and how it contributes to your community and fulfills you.

Social: How you choose to define and connect with your community and the people around you.

Intellectual: Feeling stimulated and engaged with learning and staying open to new ideas and perspectives.

Spiritual: Your understanding of your place and purpose, how you make meaning of what happens to you, and what your mind goes to for comfort or relief.

UM-Flint Offices

Counseling & Psychological Services
264 University Center
(810) 762-3456
CAPS offers therapy, screenings, referrals to outside agencies, and crisis services to enrolled University of Michigan-Flint students.

Disability & Accessibility Support Services
264 University Center
(810) 762-3456
DASS provides support for any student with a learning disability, Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, and mental health concerns, among others. The office also takes reports about issues with campus facilities for those with accessibility concerns such as elevators, snow removal, and accessibility to their classes.

Intercultural Center
115 University Center
(810) 762-3045
The ICC focuses on supporting the work of student cultural organizations and educational programming related to issues of cultural competency and centering marginalized identities, especially people of color.

Recreational Services
401 Mill Street
(810) 762-3441
The Recreation Center is open to all UM-Flint students who are registered for classes. The facility offers athletic courts, an indoor running track, cardio and weight areas, classes, and more.

Student Veterans Resource Center
131 University Pavilion
(810) 424-5589 
SVRC assists the veteran community with their pursuit of academic and career goals and offers services tailored to the unique experiences and needs of student veterans.

Student Success Center
285 University Pavilion
(810) 762-3085

UM-Flint Resources

UM-Flint CampusWell
Health and well-being articles, videos, and more.

Health and Well-being Digital Care Package
Resources for students to create a mental health plan for holistic well-being.

Mental Health Resources for Students

Silvercloud Interactive Mental Health Resource
An interactive Online Resources for Mental Health concerns such as stress and anxiety.

Student Legal Services
The University of Michigan offers legal services for students that include landlord and tenant issues, legal name changes, custody issues, child support, identity theft, insurance claims, auto repair disputes, ticket defense, wills, and power of attorney. To learn more and access the services, visit the Student Legal Services website or call (734) 763-9920 to discuss options as a UM-Flint student.

Reflection Rooms
338 University Center
4152A William S. White Building
Reflection Rooms are quiet spaces on campus intended for students and other members of the University community to meditate, pray, and/or spend quiet time in reflection. 

Telehealth Services
The University of Michigan offers telehealth services for students that include episodic care, nurse advice, medication renewals, nutrition counseling, minor illness/injury care, and sexual health (including contraception and consultation). Telehealth services are available to residential students at UM-Flint.

Wolverine Food Den
386 Harding Mott University Center
(810) 424-5277
The food pantry is open to all registered students. Students in need can visit the pantry as many times as needed for food and basic toiletries.



Flint & Genesee County Community Resources 

For on-campus medical assistance including first aid, emergency treatment, or medical service transport, contact the UM-Flint Department of Public Safety (DPS) at (810) 762-3333. DPS will provide basic first aid, ambulance transport (as appropriate) and will contact the Emergency Medical System (EMS), if necessary.

The UM-Flint Department of Public Safety’s Safe Ride service will provide free transportation to the locations denoted with an asterisk (*) for routine non-emergent health care appointments. Rides may be requested through the Tap Ride App, available on the Apple Store or Google Play. In the case of a medical emergency, please contact DPS directly at (810) 762-3333. 

Ascension Downtown Flint Health Center
420 Saginaw St., Flint
(810) 232-3522
General medical care & specialty practices including physical examinations, blood tests, prenatal care/delivery, EKG’s, cancer screening, & immunizations.
Accepts most commercial insurances, Medicaid, Medicare, and BCN Student Health insurance.

Genesee Community Health Center
725 Mason St., Flint
(810) 496-5777
General health care and medical home for all ages, health insurance enrollment, behavioral health including counseling and substance abuse treatment, health screenings, lab and x-ray services, and more.
Accepts most insurances, Medicaid, Medicare, BCN Student Health insurance, and provides care to anyone in need regardless of insurance or ability to pay.

Hurley Medical Center Urgent Care
8th Ave/Patrick St. Entrance, Flint
(810) 262-6744 
Sore throats, earaches, cough, cold, eye infections, flu, urinary tract infections, skin conditions, sprains, strains, fracture care, lacerations, burns, abrasions, back and neck pain.
Accepts United Health Care, International Student Organization and BCN Student Health insurance as well as other commercial insurances, Medicaid and Medicare.

HCARE Outpatient Pharmacy
Hurley Urgent Care Entrance 
(888) 262-6370

Hamilton Community Health Network
2900 N. Saginaw St., Flint
(810) 406-4246
MTA bus stop location
Comprehensive care including medical, dental, vision, pharmacy, OB/GYN, mental health, x-rays, lab services. Health insurance enrollment assistance.
Accepts United Health Care, BCN Student Health Insurance as well as other commercial insurances, Medicaid, and Medicare. A sliding fee discount based on income is also available.

Center for Hope
812 Root St., Flint
(810) 406-4246
Medical care and substance use treatment.

Genesee County Health Department
630 Saginaw St., Suite 4, Flint
(810) 257-3612

GCHD Environmental Health, Children’s Services, and Communicable Diseases
G3373 S. Saginaw St., Burton
Family Planning Clinic, Sexual Health Clinic, Immunizations, and WIC.
Most insurances are accepted and there is a sliding scale fee for those without insurance. No one will be turned away for lack of insurance or ability to pay.

Genesee Health System
420 W. Fifth Ave., Flint
(810) 257-3705
Provides services & supports to individuals with serious mental health disorders, developmental disabilities, and substance use disorders. 
Regardless of insurance status, residents of Genesee, Lapeer, Sanilac, and St. Clair counties can contact the Access Center for free eligibility screening & treatment referrals. GHS also will assist with Medicaid, Medicare, and Healthy Michigan Enrollment. Provides crisis services to all Genesee County residents. Our crisis line is available 24/7 at (810) 257-3740 or toll-free (877) 346-3648.

Genesee County Free Medical Clinic
2437 Welch Blvd., Flint
(810) 235-4211
Intake, triage, physician consultations, referrals to specialists and tests, and health education. Genesee County residents 18-25 years of age and not qualified for any other insurance.
No charge for services, special care, tests by referral, and prescribed medications.

Wellness Service
311 E. Court St., Flint
(810) 232-0888
A safe space where individuals and couples can get tested for HIV and STIs and get free condoms and lube. 

YWCA Sexual Assault Forensic Examination (SAFE) Center
801 Saginaw St., Flint
(810) 238-7621
Provides free comprehensive medical forensic examinations including pregnancy and STI testing to both male and female survivors of sexual assault. Available 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.

Food Bank of Eastern Michigan
2300 Lapeer Rd, Flint

National Resources

National Crisis Text Line offers free 24/7 support at your fingertips. Text HOME to 741741 and “a live, trained Crisis Counselor receives the text and responds, all from our secure online platform. The volunteer Crisis Counselor will help you move from a hot moment to a cool moment.”

Anxiety and Depression Association of America
(240) 485-1001
Committed to improving the lives of the people who suffer from anxiety disorders through promotion of early diagnosis, treatment and cure.

National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
(800) 950-NAMI (6264)
Dedicated to the eradication of mental illnesses and to the improvement of the quality of life of all whose lives are affected by these diseases.

National Mental Health Consumer’s Self-Help Clearinghouse
(800) 553-4539 or (215) 751-1810
Helps connect individuals to self-help and advocacy resources, and offers expertise to self-help groups and other peer-run services for mental health consumers.

National Institute of Mental Health
(301) 443-4513 or (866) 615-6464 (toll-free)
Offers a wide variety of information including:

Suicide prevention hotlines:

  • Half of Us (800) 273-8255
  • Jed Foundation works to reduce suicide among college students in the U.S and offers a toll-free National Suicide Prevention Hotline at (800) 273-TALK.
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is staffed by trained volunteers, day and night, for online chat, or call (800) 273-TALK
  • Trevor Project Lifeline is staffed by trained volunteers, day and night, for online chat, or call (866) 488-7386
  • Trans Lifeline is staffed by trained transgender volunteers. Call (877) 565-8860
  • Or call 911