Information Regarding the COVID-19 Response at the University of Michigan-Flint
Fall 2021 Vaccination Policy
The University of Michigan COVID-19 vaccination requirement policy is in effect. All UM-Flint faculty, staff, and students are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination, with limited exemptions by August 30, 2021. This policy is subject to change as the pandemic and public health guidance continues to evolve.
You can read more about the policy as well as review the vaccination FAQs. Please update your vaccination status here. Individuals may submit a medical or religious exemption or a postponement request through this form.
If you have any questions, please send those to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will respond as quickly as possible.
For medical-related questions, please call your doctor. For questions regarding COVID-19, call the State of Michigan’s COVID-19 Hotline at (888) 535-6136, 7 days a week 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Thank you for your commitment to the ongoing health and safety of our campus community.
Your Path Through the UM Vaccine Mandate
Undergraduate or Graduate Student at UM-Flint
Are you a fully online student with no need to come to campus?
- Fill out this form in order to be considered out of scope of the policy for Fall 2021.
- Note: Fully Online Students in Winter 2022 will have to resubmit based on their Winter schedule.
- You are in scope of the policy. You need to submit your vaccine record here in order to be in compliance.
Are you fully vaccinated?
- If you have not submitted your vaccine for verification, you must do so immediately here.
- If your ResponsiBlue App says “COVID-19 Vaccination Completed” with a white check mark, you do not need to do anything further in order to be in compliance with the policy.
Update on Receiving the COVID-19 Vaccination
Face Covering Updated Policy – August 11, 2021
With COVID-19 cases involving the more infectious delta variant trending up on campus and throughout the nation, state, and in Genesee County, UM-Flint will require all individuals to wear face coverings in university buildings beginning Aug. 11 regardless of vaccination status. Face coverings will not be required outdoors on campus. The full policy is available here, with details of limited exceptions, which include actively eating and drinking, while alone with the door closed in an enclosed office, and being in your own residence hall, including common areas.
Reporting COVID-19 Like Illness, Exposure, or Illness
UM-Flint aims to deliver its mission while protecting the health and safety of our faculty, staff, and students and minimizing the potential spread of disease within our community. Please follow these steps if you are experiencing ANY of the following:
- COVID-19 symptomatic
- Fever or chills; Cough; Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing; Fatigue; Muscle or body aches; Headache; New loss of taste or smell; Sore throat Congestion or runny nose; Nausea or vomiting; Diarrhea
- Asymptomatic but were exposed to someone who tested positive (within 6’ for greater than 15 minutes over a 24 hour period)
- Tested positive for COVID-19
Faculty, Staff, & Student Employees
- Stay home and self-isolate until provided with further advice from your physician and direction from the university.
- Notify your supervisor
Faculty, staff, and student employees will receive follow-up, support, and information regarding resources from HR and EHS in coordination with UM Work Connections.
- Stay home
- Notify your instructors
- Complete the Student COVID-19 Illness Reporting Form
- Consider being tested
- Begin self-isolation/ quarantine
- A case manager will be assigned and reach out for support and resources
A case manager from the Department of Public Health will be assigned to students for follow-up, support, and information regarding resources. The case manager will assist with contact tracing and provide ongoing outreach for 14 days regarding test results, communication with faculty, resources, and support.
Third-Party Reporting of an Illness
If anyone who is COVID-19 symptomatic, asymptomatic, but was exposed to someone who tested positive OR has tested positive for COVID-19 please follow these steps:
- Instruct the student to stay home and not come to campus
- Advise the student to contact their health care provider and get tested
- Advise the student to self-monitor symptoms
- If exposed, quarantine for 10 days, and if no symptoms develop, continue to self-monitor health on days 11 through 14 while returning to normal activities
- If symptomatic/tested positive, isolate for at least 10 days from onset of symptoms, until without fever for at least 24 hours, and all other symptoms improved
Return to Campus
In order to return to campus please follow the procedures outlined below based on your affiliation with UM-Flint.
Faculty, Staff, & Student Employees
- Employees are allowed to work remotely if approved by HR and OHS, and overall supervisor approval.
- Students will be required to follow the most current health guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Genesee County Health Department before returning to campus.
- Students must submit written documentation from a healthcare provider or local county health department to the Office of the Dean of Students BEFORE returning to campus.
- Students cannot return to campus until they receive a “Clear to Return to Campus” email from the Office of the Dean of Students.
- Students should provide this email to their instructors for verification of clearance.