Using Data to Solve Real-World Problems
Become an invaluable asset to any organization by transforming data into action. All kinds of organizations—large corporations, small businesses, nonprofits and governmental agencies—all rely on data to make strategic decisions. With the University of Michigan-Flint’s Bachelor of Science in Data Analytics, you’ll become an in-demand leader thanks to your combination of analytical abilities and field-specific knowledge.
This Data Analytics bachelor degree program is designed to address the growing need for analytical professionals and decision makers who are adept at cleaning, visualizing, and analyzing data to solve challenges and discover opportunities. The program educates students in the analysis of data, in knowledge of a discipline of their choice, and in the application of data analysis skills to their chosen discipline.
In-Demand Data Careers
Data Science at UM-Flint utilizes interdisciplinary coursework to prepare you for a successful, rewarding career in one of the world’s fastest-growing job categories. U.S. News & World Report ranked data scientist #8 on their list of 100 best jobs, and the State of Michigan highlights career options such as management analyst and market research analyst as among the promising jobs through 2028.
Possible job titles:
- Data Analytics Consultant
- Data Engineer
- Data Scientist
- Financial Analyst
- Management Analyst
- Market Research Analyst
- Marketing Analyst
- Operations Analyst
- Operations Researcher
- Quantitative Analyst
Bachelor of Science in Data Analytics
You’ll take a series of core courses to build your skills in areas such as programming, database management, and data visualization. After gaining that foundation, you’ll select a track of study to gain in-depth skills in a particular area of interest.
Choose from one of five tracks:
- Data Science: Utilize computer science and mathematical skills to understand data mining, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. This track offers advanced instruction in both technical skills such as programming and the theoretical background of concepts such as algorithms and statistics.
- Business Analytics: Combine courses in statistics, business analytics, and computer information systems to prepare for careers managing data-driven decision making in the corporate and public sectors. In addition to the skills gained in business analytics, students can obtain a minor in general business by taking advantage of coursework in accounting, operations, marketing and human resources.
- Health Data Analytics: Use population health data, electronic health records, billing claims and more to create accurate and meaningful information for healthcare systems. Prepare to increase quality of care, enhance patient satisfaction, and improve quality of life across populations.
- Social Analytics: Strategically interpret data to understand societal motivations, opinions and behaviors. Become versed in programming and data analysis based in social science theory and practice to impact public policy and create data-driven solutions to real-world problems.
- Geospatial Analytics: Apply technologies such as geographic information systems, cartography, and multispectral remote sensing to various disciplines such as: environmental management, urban planning, business, transportation, demography, and sociology. With only one additional course, students in this track can earn an additional certificate in GIS and Geospatial Technology.
Learn more about the BS in Data Analytics degree.
At the University of Michigan-Flint, we are proud to have many dedicated advisors who are the experts students can rely upon to guide their educational journey. Explore all the possible pathways for your future, and book an appointment today.
In addition to academic advising, the College of Arts & Sciences provides extensive career advising services to help you define a clear path for your career. Contact Myesha Cannon through Handshake to schedule your career coaching appointment.
Learn More about the Bachelor of Science in Data Analytics
Ready to get started on an exciting pathway to earning your degree in data analytics? Begin to discover all the ways you can apply the knowledge you will learn to a number of compelling careers in data analytics. Apply today or contact us to learn more.