Information about Tutoring Services:
Tutoring is being conducted all online for the time being. We have two tutoring options available:
E-tutoring: Asynchronous tutoring. Upload a plain Word document to your appointment (no pdfs please) or provide a sharable with link Google link. The tutor will retrieve your paper at your appointment time. They will use the comment feature to provide feedback on your paper. When they are finished, they will re-upload your paper to your appointment block if you've attached a Word doc, or if you've provided a Google link, you can view your feedback after your appointment is finished.
Live Online Tutoring: Synchronous. You will need to upload a Word document so the tutor can put this into our shareable viewing platform. When your appointment time arrives, re-open your appointment block and click "Join session." There, you'll be able to talk live with your tutor and receive feedback on your paper.
Information about Uploading Word or Google Docs
The Writing Center is working remotely to provide e-tutoring services only at this point. (E-tutoring is asynchronous, meaning you won't be able to "talk" live with a tutor. You'll only receive feedback using the comment functions in Word or Google docs. However, you can leave them questions in your paper if you want to.) If you would like your paper tutored, please do the following:
Two document options: Word or a Google Doc
- Upload a Word document only, using the "Browse file" option at the bottom of your appointment screen. (No PDF’s or PowerPoints. They don't work for this option.)
- When the tutor is finished providing feedback on your paper using Word comments, they will re-upload your paper to your appointment where you can retrieve it after your appointment time.
- Open your appointment, scroll to the bottom of your appointment page, and you should see another paper attached called "tutored." That's the paper your tutor uploaded with their feedback.
Google Doc option:
- Or, you can provide a "Sharable with link" to your Google doc on your appointment form, and make sure you provide a "Sharable link, for anyone who has the link" from the "Shared files" option on the Google docs page so the tutor is able to open it. You can provide the Google link on the last question on the page. Tutors can also tutor PowerPoints through Google docs as well. Here is a quick You-Tube video that shows how to do that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKSgTTPbRBE
- If you use Google docs, you should be able to see the tutor's comments from your Google doc page.
In order to provide as much time as possible for each paper, tutors are not emailing papers. Please check your appointment or Google doc sheet for your paper and feedback. Thank you.
If you have questions, email us at email@example.com.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
Writing Center Staff