Are you looking for Sarah, the confidential Sexual Assault Advocate? She is available from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, at (810) 214-4867. If she is assisting another caller, please leave a message and she'll get back to you quickly. You can also email your contact information to Sarah at email@example.com. Thank you.
Welcome and Overview
Welcome! The Center for Gender and Sexuality (CGS) focuses on supporting all students, faculty, and staff to deepen and enrich awareness on all issues related to gender and sexuality. Specifically, CGS has five specific goals:
- Oppose inequities and barriers imposed on women and LGBTQIA+ individuals through research, policy, and advocacy;
- Provide educational programs (stand-alone programs like bystander intervention and inclusive sex education and academically integrated content through coursework and faculty collaboration);
- Connect individuals with needed resources and support for those experiencing domestic/dating violence, sexual assault, sexual harassment, or stalking;
- Develop and maintain a peer education program and peer education training program to provide in-person face-to-face training on gender and sexuality;
- Develop allies and advocates to foster a safe, inclusive campus environment for all.
Department Mission: The Center for Gender & Sexuality (CGS) amplifies the voices of women, survivors, and the LGBTQIA+ communities and the intersecting identities within them. Through outreach, education, and advocacy, the Center for Gender & Sexuality provides skill and competency building that is grounded in activism and social justice.
Department Vision: The Center for Gender and Sexuality strives to graduate students with the skills to impact the complexities of issues surrounding gender and sexuality and create positive social change.
Vanessa Goldman Scholarship
VANESSA 'EMMA GOLDMAN' PRYGOSKI, 1964-2017
Vanessa Prygoski served as Senior Associate Librarian at the UM-Flint Thompson Library for more than 17 years. She was involved with the UM-Flint LGBTQ and Women's Educational Centers and committed to helping advance their mission. She was proud to have been part of the effort to secure the addition of “gender expression” and “gender identity” to the university’s non-discrimination policy.
A scholarship was established to honor the life and legacy of Vanessa Prygoski. The fund provides support to students with financial need who are involved in the work of the UM-Flint Center for Gender & Sexuality.
Culture of Respect
The University of Michigan-Flint is part of NASPA's Culture of Respect, a national initiative that offers evidence-based best practices and utilizes existing programs and resources on campus to end sexual violence.
Culture of Respect aids UM-Flint in creating a multi-pronged approach to create deep change across the university, focusing on identifying solutions that will work for UM-Flint.