The Center for Gender and Sexuality
We are excited to announce that the offices formerly known as the Women’s Educational Center and the Ellen Bommarito LGBTQ Center have merged to become the Center for Gender and Sexuality.
The University of Michigan- Flint Women’s Educational Center and the Ellen Bommarito LGBTQ Center have historically operated as separate entities. To address the increasing need for integration and greater support to promote learning and awareness around issues of gender and sexuality, the decision was made to merge the two centers and expand the staff and resources dedicated to creating and sustaining safe and inclusive campus community for students, staff, faculty.
Over the course of the last semester, we have held three open forums and collected survey responses about the formation of a combined center. Based on the feedback from these forums and the survey responses, the newly combined center will be called the Center for Gender and Sexuality (CGS) and will focus on supporting all students, faculty, and staff to deepen and enrich awareness of issues across these areas. The new center has five specific goals.
The goals are:
- To oppose inequities and barriers imposed on women and LGBTQIA+ individuals through research, policy, and advocacy;
- provide educational programs (stand-alone programs like bystander intervention and inclusive sex education and academically integrated content through coursework and faculty collaboration);
- connect individuals with needed resources and support for those experiencing domestic/dating violence, sexual assault, sexual harassment, or stalking;
- develop and maintain a peer education program and peer education training program to provide in-person face-to-face training on gender and sexuality;
- develop allies and advocates to foster a safe, inclusive campus environment for all.
The mission of the UM-Flint Center for Gender and Sexuality (CGS) is to provide opportunities for all members of the UM-Flint community to explore, organize, and promote learning around issues of gender and sexuality. The center also facilitates a greater responsiveness to the needs of women and LGBTQIA+ communities through outreach, education, and advocacy.
While the existing webpage and social media sites for the WEC and the LGBTQ Center will be phased out in the next few months, we will have a new webpage and social media accounts to share. From this point forward you will find the most current info in the following places.
You can find us on:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/CGS.UMFlint/
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CGS.UMFlint/
Please note that the Facebook Group is closed so you will need to send a request to join the group. We hope to share more direct information with our followers and foster discussion among the group members. The Facebook page is intended for those that just want to know about our events but will not allow comments or posts.