Healthcare Simulation Graduate Certificate
Leading the Way
The University of Michigan-Flint is the only college/university in the state of Michigan to offer the graduate Certificate in Healthcare Simulation. This program will prepare students for healthcare simulation educator and staff positions in a variety of organizations including hospitals, health care systems, universities, community colleges, and those organizations responsible for emergency preparedness of first responders. Once students start to gain experience in teaching simulation, they can become involved in simulation program development and operations as well.
Students will be prepared and may independently decide to take a national certification exam as a certified healthcare simulation educator (CHSE) or a certified healthcare simulation operations specialist (CHSOS), both of which are offered by the Society for Simulation in Healthcare.
The didactic portion of the Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Simulation is completely online and is done asynchronously. Two of the required courses, HCS 503 and 504, have a mandatory 2-day on-site residency that is scheduled in advance that must be done on campus in the University of Michigan-Flint School of Nursing Simulation Center.
The need for trained simulation educators and operations specialists is growing as more and more organizations create or further invest in their simulation programs. The demand for trained, certified simulationists far exceeds the supply. Below are the low numbers of certified healthcare simulationists internationally by type (as of June 2021). There are thousands of open positions going unfilled.
- CHSE: 2470 from 38 countries
- CHSOS: 543 from 18 countries
- CHSE-A (advanced): 88 from 13 countries
UM-Flint Simulation Center
Our facilities consist of a state-of-the-art simulation center with multiple patient care rooms, exam rooms, a home setting room, a nurses station, a health assessment area, debriefing rooms, and all of the latest technology used in the field.
At UM-Flint, we are proud to have many dedicated advisors who are the experts students can rely upon to help guide their educational journey. Book an appointment today.
You must meet the following requirements to be eligible for admission:
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution*
- An overall undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
*Students in their final semester of a health care baccalaureate program at UM-Flint, with approval, will receive an override to begin the HCS certificate in their final semester. The form for approval is available here.
State Authorization for Online Students
In recent years, the federal government has emphasized the need for universities and colleges to be in compliance with the distance education laws of each individual state. If you are an out-of-state student intending to enroll in an online program, please visit the State Authorization page to verify the status of UM-Flint with your state.
To be considered for admission, submit an online application below. Other materials can be emailed to FlintGradOffice@umich.edu or delivered to the Office of Graduate Programs.
- Application for Graduate Admission
- $55 application fee (non-refundable)
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals who can evaluate your scholarly and/or professional ability.
- Statement of Purpose describing your objectives for graduate study and reasons for selecting this program
- International students must submit additional documentation. This program is a certificate program. Students admitted to this program are not eligible to obtain a student visa (F visa).
As campus visits are required as a part of this certificate, international students cannot complete this certificate online in their home country.
- Fall Early Deadline: May 1*
- Fall Final Deadline: August 1
*You must apply for admission by the early deadline to be eligible for scholarships, grants, and research assistantships. Because this is a certificate program, students enrolled are not eligible for federal student loans.