All auditions for the Department of Music will be held remotely until further notice. Applicants for the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Music Education or Bachelor of Music in Performance may submit materials to the department at any time before the dates below.. It is highly recommended that applicants submit before the February and March dates for music scholarship consideration.
Audition Procedure & Requirements
Instruments include flute, oboe, clarinet, saxophone, bassoon, trumpet, horn, trombone, euphonium, tuba, percussion, piano, guitar, mandolin, violin, viola, cello, double bass, organ, and harp.
- Prepare and perform a solo on the major instrument (for example a movement from a concerto, sonata, or a Solo and Ensemble Festival solo). An accompanist is preferred and can be provided by the department, but is not required. It is recommended that the selection include contrasting musical material.
- Prepare all major scales from memory. The audition committee will select the scales to be heard at the time of the audition.
- Read music on sight demonstrating the ability to perform, with proficiency, music previously not seen.
- Prepare and perform a solo, study or etude on snare, one keyboard instrument, or timpani (for example a movement from a concerto, sonata, or a Solo and Ensemble Festival solo).
- Prepare all major scales from memory on a keyboard instrument such as xylophone, marimba or vibes. The audition committee will select the scales to be heard at the time of the audition.
- Demonstrate knowledge and ability to perform basic rudimental figures on snare drum.
- Read music on sight demonstrating the ability to perform on a keyboard instrument and/or snare drum, with proficiency, music previously not seen.
- Percussionists may consider an additional performance on another percussion instrument, demonstrating additional proficiency.
- Prepare and perform two songs from standard art song literature. An aria may be one of the choices. An accompanist will be provided for each vocal audition and must be arranged in advance by contacting the Department of Music. Auditionees may provide their own accompanist at their own expense. Recorded or other digital accompaniments are not acceptable.
- Sing on sight several short excerpts demonstrating the ability to perform, with proficiency, music previously not seen.
- Wednesday, August 11, 2021 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 8, 2021 4 p.m.
- Saturday, February 5, 2022 9 a.m.
- Friday, March 25, 2022 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 4, 2022 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 10, 2022 4 p.m.
To register for an audition contact the Department of Music.