Selected high-ability, highly motivated students will be eligible to enroll in the DEEP program. A selection process and criteria will be developed by the school district in cooperation with UM-Flint.
The University of Michigan-Flint has established the following general expectations for DEEP program enrollees:
- An overall grade point average of 3.0+
- An interest in post-secondary study in the appropriate professional field
- The ability and motivation to undertake successfully the rigor of college-level coursework
- A favorable recommendation from the school principal or counselor addressing the strength of the applicant’s preparation in a college preparatory high school curriculum, including successful completion of 3+ years of HS English with strong writing skills, and other similar characteristics
In addition, applicants for the Medical Sciences and the Pre-Engineering programs are expected to meet the following criteria:
- Pre-Engineering academic expectations: (1) completion or concurrent enrollment in Calculus or AP Calculus; and (2) completion or concurrent enrollment in high school physics
- Medical Sciences academic expectations: (1) successful completion of one year of HS biology (AP or Honors or close equivalent course); (2) successful completion of one year of HS chemistry or one year of HS physics (AP or Honors preferred), one of which may be taken concurrently with enrollment in the Medical Sciences DEEP program; (3) concurrent enrollment in mathematics coursework beyond Algebra II; (4) a record of excellent attendance in high school courses
Exceptions to these qualifications may be considered by the appropriate UM-Flint faculty.