What Sets UM-Flint's Nursing (MSN) Program Apart?
- The MSN program will prepare a student for advanced nursing practice in primary healthcare
- Concentration in Family Nurse Practitioner.
- Full-time and part-time options available.
- The full-time program is taught in a distance-learning (online) format with 6-8 campus visits required over five semesters.
- The part-time program is also taught in a distance-learning format with 1-2 possible campus visits per semester required over eleven semesters.
- Clinical courses are arranged in your area, so it is convenient for you to gain practical experience.
- UM-Flint Nursing faculty make themselves available to students outside the normal class schedule, with flexible office hours and online availability.
There will be an additional admission path for RN-prepared students with no other bachelor's degree.
- In the MSN program, you will receive practical instruction from faculty who are experts in the field of nursing.
- As part of the world-renowned University of Michigan system, UM-Flint can tap additional resources, expertise, and contacts at our sister campuses in Dearborn and Ann Arbor to assist our students and their research.
- 95-100% first-time Nurse Practitioner Certification Exam pass rate for past three years.
- The University of Michigan-Flint's online Graduate Nursing program has been rated one of the "Best" in the country by U.S. News & World Report. Of the hundreds of programs that were surveyed by U.S. News, UM-Flint's Accelerated Nursing (MSN) was ranked number 3. Only regionally accredited schools that met the federal standard of 100 percent online course delivery were evaluated.
In-Depth: DNP and MSN Comparison
Both the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) and the MSN prepare nurses to be licensed Nurse Practitioners; the following table compares the two programs:
|Time to Completion||4 years full-time/6-7 years part-time||Full-time: 5 semesters, Part-time: 11 semesters|
|Course Work Load||Full-time||Full-time|
|Course Types||Online, plus up to 8 campus visits||Online, plus 6-8 campus visits|
|Grant Funding||Nurse Faculty Loan Program||Nurse Faculty Loan Program|
|Transfer/Waiver of Credits||Up to 9 credits of MSN to DNP, 12 credits for BSN to DNP||Up to 9 credits|
|Concentrations||AGNP, FNP, ACNP, PMHNP||FNP|
|Students Accepted Each Year||Up to 60 (15 per concentration)||20 full-time students + 10 part-time students|