Turn Creativity &
Data into Growth
Marketing is the action or business of promoting and selling products or services, including market research and advertising. Marketing refers to activities undertaken by a company to promote the buying or selling of a product or service, including the advertising, selling, and delivering of products to consumers or other businesses.
Why Earn Your Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing at UM-Flint?
The Marketing major is often described by those in the field as both a science and an art. Ideally a marketing student is both creative and precise with a passion for innovation and the ability to analyze and communicate statistics and data. The Marketing major prepares students for exciting careers in advertising, sales, market research, new product development, and more. Students also practice decision-making and problem-solving skills with a focus on building communication and leadership skills.
100% Flexible Online Program Option
The program’s online format accommodates the learning styles and schedules of today’s busy students — whether those students are starting as first-year or taking advantage of transferable credits earned at another institution. The program is also available in a traditional face-to-face format.
Be Involved in Business
- Marketing Club: The School of Management (SOM) proudly supports and sponsors nine student organizations that are nationally recognized and have received national awards. Student organization members gain real-life career experience and make professional connections not only within the Flint community, but worldwide. Marketing students can be a member of the Marketing Club to align with their career occupation and have opportunities to network with speakers and employers. Interested students can contact Francine Cullari, Lecturer of Business Law, Labor & Employment Law, International Business Law.
- Internships/Career Readiness: An internship provides an opportunity to engage in an activity of experiential learning using the knowledge acquired in the classroom and putting it to practical use within the professional setting. An internship opportunity will provide hands-on experience allowing students to practice activities in their profession, as well as identify future career opportunities. Additionally, SOM partners with organizations locally, state-wide, and internationally for college internships. Internships may count for academic credit when participating in a paid internship opportunity.
- Study Abroad: SOM hosts faculty-led study abroad trips that are three weeks or shorter in the spring/summer semester. You will gain firsthand knowledge about business and culture in a foreign country alongside an experienced professor and a group of peers. Study abroad trips count towards UM-Flint credit and are eligible for financial aid and scholarships.
UM-Flint’s Marketing faculty bring practical working knowledge into the learning environment and are experienced, tested, and respected global experts in their field. Like all University of Michigan instructors, they have a passion for education and years of experience teaching and researching current business issues. Marketing faculty members are available to consult with students wishing to pursue careers in any of the above-mentioned areas.
The UM-Flint MSA program is accredited by AACSB International, the highest accrediting body for business schools worldwide. Only 5.5% of business schools are accredited by AACSB. In accordance with AACSB, we subscribe to the highest standards in management education. We prepare students to contribute to their organizations and the larger society and to grow personally and professionally throughout their careers.
Dual BBA/MBA Degrees
High achieving students will have the opportunity to apply for the joint BBA/MBA program in their junior year. This program will allow students to substitute senior-level BBA major courses with corresponding MBA concentration courses. Students also have the opportunity to waive four MBA foundation courses by earning B’s or better in the equivalent BBA courses. BBA students in this program could earn their MBA for as few as 24 credits, instead of the traditional 45 credits.
Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing
In addition to the requirements for the BBA degree, 18 additional credits as follows:
A. Major Core Courses
- MKT 332 – Marketing Research (3)
- MKT 338 – Consumer Behavior (3)
- MKT 438 – Marketing Strategy (3)
B. Major Electives
- MKT 336 – Integrated Marketing Communications (3)
- MKT 394 – Marketing Internship Program (1-3)
- MKT 432 – International Marketing (3)
- MKT 435 – New Product Development (3)
- MKT 437 – Retail Management (3)
- MGT 443 – Developing Negotiations Skills (3)
Marketing Career Outlook
UM-Flint marketing students from 2019-2021 have interned at Bob Love Insurance, 100K Ideas, Fra Fra’s Naturals, Genesys Athletic Club, Made Institute, Accident Fund Insurance, Pioneer State Mutual Insurance, Smith Street Homes, Fire Keepers Casino and Hotel, School of Management, Action Water Sports, Target, Strebor Small Business Consulting, South Point Michigan, Maxwell Therapy LLC, Feldman Automotive, Sullivan Supply Inc., Off The Leash K9 Training Detroit, Passage, Marine Corps Community Service, Mott Foundation, and more.
UM-Flint SOM alumni are currently employed at a variety of organizations ranging from non-profits, corporations, self-employed, or Fortune 500 companies. Marketing alumni work at companies such as Quicken Loans, United Shore, Diplomat, Financial Plus Credit Union, Keystone Commercial Real Estate, 100K Ideas, Ferris Wheel, Skypoint Ventures, Stock X, McLaren, Forum Health, HealthPlus, BCBSN, Huron-Clinton Metroparks, Oh Hello Company, General Motors, Ford, FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Whaley Children’s Center, University of Michigan-Flint, and more.
The average salary for a Marketing Research Analysts is $65,810 per year in 2020 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The projected percent change in employment from 2019 to 2029 is growing much faster than average at around 18%. The average growth rate for all occupations is 4 percent.
The top occupations for someone with a marketing degree are:
- Marketing manager
- Marketing research analyst
- Public relations/communications specialist
- Sales manager
- Sales representative
At UM-Flint, we are proud to have many dedicated advisors who are the experts students can rely upon to guide their educational journey. Explore all the possible pathways for your future, and book an appointment today.
In addition to academic advising, SOM provides extensive career advising services to help you define a clear path for your career. Contact Antonio Riggs at email@example.com or call (810) 237-6680 to schedule your appointment.