The Doctor of Nursing Practice/Master of Business Administration Program is for UM-Flint Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) students and graduates with an interest in Business/Healthcare Administration. The curriculum allows the DNP student or graduate to apply up to 15 specified credits toward both degrees. The degrees are independent; each is awarded when completed with specified credits accepted for the second degree after the first has been awarded. The MBA degree is awarded with a concentration in Health Care Management.
These dual program courses are offered in a variety of formats: online, on-campus, and NetPlus! (online with on-campus sessions every six weeks).
The student applies for admission to both degree programs independently and the GMAT/GRE requirement MBA admission is waived.
Academic Rules and Regulations
See the School of Health Professions and Studies (SHPS) , Graduate Study and Dual Degree Graduate Programs sections of this Catalog for academic rules and regulations pertaining to dual graduate programs offered by the School.
(BSN to DNP: 101-126 credits; MSN to DNP: 51-66 credits)
A. Professional DNP Core Courses
(BSN to DNP: 78-93 credits, depending on certification exam requirements and course waivers; MSN to DNP: 30-33 credits)
See Doctor of Nursing Practice section of the Catalog for course requirements
B. MBA Foundation Courses (3-12 credits)
- NUR 601 - Biostatistics for Advanced Practice in Health Care (3). ** 1
- ACC 521 - Accounting for Managers (3). *
- MGT 541 - Organizational Behavior (3). *
- FIN 551 - Business Economics (3). *
C. MBA Core Courses (24 credits)
- MGT 501 - Organizational Communication and Negotiation (3).
- MKT 531 - Marketing Management (3).
- MGT 552 - Nonmarket Strategy (3).
- FIN 561 - Financial Management (3).
- SCM 571 - Operations Management (3).
- NUR 607 - Informatics (3). ** 2
- INB 585 - Global Dimensions of Management (3).
- MGT 589 - Strategic Management (3).
D. MBA Health Care Management Concentration Courses (9 credits)
- NUR 810 - Advanced Transcultural Care (3). **
- NUR 820 - Health Policy and Economics (3). **
- NUR 840 - Organizational and Administrative Theory (3). **
*Can be waived if previous equivalent or similar undergraduate or graduate coursework has been completed
**Fulfills requirements in both the DNP and MBA programs
1 Fulfills the SCM 512 requirement for MBA students
2 Fulfills the MGT 581 requirement for MBA students