The Recreation Center, which opened in 1982, is open to all University of Michigan-Flint students who are registered for classes – all you need is your MCard for access. Our facility is also open to faculty, staff and the community through memberships.
With our main entrance located next to the University Center, the Recreation Center has three levels (main, lower & upper) that are home to:
- cardio room with ellipticals, treadmills, lifecycles, stairmaster, free climbers, stair mill, arm ergometer, and rowers
- strength training area with Cybex machines, free weights, and benches
- 3 multi-purpose courts for basketball, volleyball, futsal, soccer, tennis, badminton, and pickleball
- 4 group fitness studios
- 4 racquetball/wallyball courts
- 2 multi-purpose rooms
- 1/10th mile suspended indoor track
- 25-yard, four lane lap pool with a whirlpool spa, plus dry saunas in locker rooms
Recreation Center Locker Rooms
- Gymnasium Locker Rooms: Features lockers for day use and long-term rental, as well as curtained shower stalls. Located on the Lower Level.
- Pool Locker Rooms: Features lockers for day use and long-term rental, as well as an open shower area and dry heat saunas. Located on the Lower Level.
- Inclusive Locker Room: The inclusive changing space, which features a single private changing space that is not gender-specific. Located on the Lower Level.
Day-use lockers are available on a first-come, first-served basis for patrons wishing to bring their own lock. NOTE: Contents may not be left overnight and will be removed by staff at the close of business.
For students and members, the Recreation Center offers half-length lockers with built-in combination locks for rent. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for current availability and rates.
Additional Recreation Spaces
Recreational Services also manages additional spaces on campus:
- Reflection Rooms – 338 UCEN and 1158 WSW
UM-Flint Reflection Rooms are quiet spaces on campus intended for students and other members of the University community to meditate, pray, and/or spend quiet time in reflection. Open on a first-come, first-served basis during the hours the building in which it is located is open. See Reflection Room Policies for more information.
- University Pavilion Outdoor Ice Rink – 303 Saginaw Street
- William S. White Field – 509 Harrison Street
Registered student organizations (VSOs & SSOs) can reserve space in the Recreation Center during regular business hours, free of charge. There are two categories for reservations:
- Special Events/Large Scale Activities: varies based on activity; see deadlines listed on the reservation inquiry form.
- Meetings/Small Scale Activities: Club officers may request space for meetings or small group activities in the Activities Room, Aerobics Dance Room & Room 11 at least 24 hours in advance but no more than two weeks in advance.
Note: Long term, recurring reservations are not available for VSOs.
University departments are also able to reserve space in the Recreation Center. Fees may apply.
The University has special stipulations for event insurance and supervision when a non-affiliate hosts an event on campus. These requirements vary depending on the scope and specifics of your event. Specific requirements for events with minors can be found here, which require a reservation inquiry form to be submitted at least 8 weeks in advance. Reservation and staffing fees apply.