FUND YOUR RESEARCH. There are many online resources available through the UM system (from the Office of Research and the UM Libraries) to help you find funding opportunities to support your projects. Send us an email if you want more specific help looking for opportunities to match your project goals. Contact us early in the planning and proposal writing process, to allow time to think about the scope of work, the project team, budget for effort, and review the sponsor requirements.
Learn about new funding opportunities by looking at the Research Commons, a new internal clearinghouse for research opportunities across all three U-M campuses. The portal uses the InfoReady platform to pool internal opportunities, limited submissions, and some external opportunities. Keyword search, and filter by campus, discipline, career stage, funding type, areas of interest, school or college, or campus.
There are several other available databases and portals for more targeted searches:
- UM Library Find Funding Portal - Managed by UM Library, this is a comprehensive online resource for seeking funding sources
- UM Flint Library Research Resources - Managed by UM Flint Thompson Library, this is a list of resources to find funding, including Proquest Pivot.
- Limited Submissions - Find out if the sponsor is limiting submissions to one per institution, and how UM will decide which campus will be allowed to submit
- Foundation Relations - Provides links to information on the kinds of research sponsored by foundations and information on existing relationships with particular funders.
- If you are interested in work with industry or finding a corporate sponsor, the Business Engagement Center is knowledgeable about industry partners looking for specific kinds of research and Tech Transfer will provide guidance about how to commercialize research discoveries through licensing and start-ups.
Many external sponsors also have email groups and alerts. You can find a useful listing on the UM Office of Research external funding page.