Expand Your Opportunities
International Business encompasses all commercial activities that take place to promote the transfer of goods, services, resources, people, ideas, and technologies across national boundaries. People in international business deal with added complexities of exchange rates, foreign languages, and differences in cultures, customer taste and preferences, government regulations and business practices.
Why Earn Your Bachelor of Business Administration in International Business at UM-Flint?
The International Business major is designed to prepare students for a marketing, finance, or management career in the international business environment. The International Business curriculum emphasizes understanding the differences between domestic and international business, understanding the global trade and investment environment, and recognizing the cultural, ethical, and other issues that arise when firms engage in international business.
100% Flexible Online Program Option
The program’s online format accommodates the learning styles and schedules of today’s busy students — whether those students are starting as first-year or taking advantage of transferable credits earned at another institution. The program is also available in a traditional face-to-face format.
Be Involved in Business
- International Business Student Organization: The School of Management (SOM) proudly supports and sponsors nine student organizations that are nationally recognized and have received national awards. Student organization members gain real-life career experience and make professional connections not only within the Flint community, but worldwide. International Business students can be a member of the International Business Student Organization to align with their career occupation and have opportunities to network with international speakers and employers. Interested students can contact Yener Kandogan, Professor of International Business.
- Internships/Career Readiness: An internship provides an opportunity to engage in an activity of experiential learning using the knowledge acquired in the classroom and putting it to practical use within the professional setting. An internship opportunity will provide hands-on experience allowing students to practice activities in their profession, as well as identify future career opportunities. Additionally, SOM partners with organizations locally, state-wide, and internationally for college internships. Internships may count for academic credit when participating in a paid internship opportunity.
- Study Abroad: SOM hosts faculty-led study abroad trips that are three weeks or shorter in the spring/summer semester. You will gain firsthand knowledge about business and culture in a foreign country alongside an experienced professor and a group of peers. Study abroad trips count towards UM-Flint credit and are eligible for financial aid and scholarships.
UM-Flint’s International Business faculty bring practical working knowledge into the learning environment and are experienced, tested, and respected global experts in their field. Like all University of Michigan instructors, they have a passion for education and years of experience teaching and researching current business issues. International Business faculty members are available to consult with students wishing to pursue careers in any of the above-mentioned areas.
The UM-Flint MSA program is accredited by AACSB International, the highest accrediting body for business schools worldwide. Only 5.5% of business schools are accredited by AACSB. In accordance with AACSB, we subscribe to the highest standards in management education. We prepare students to contribute to their organizations and the larger society and to grow personally and professionally throughout their careers.
Dual BBA/MBA Degrees
High achieving students will have the opportunity to apply for the joint BBA/MBA program in their junior year. This program will allow students to substitute senior-level BBA major courses with corresponding MBA concentration courses. Students also have the opportunity to waive four MBA foundation courses by earning B’s or better in the equivalent BBA courses. BBA students in this program could earn their MBA for as few as 24 credits, instead of the traditional 45 credits.
Bachelor of Business Administration in International Business
Within the BBA degree, international business students will take 18 credits of specialized international business courses. Students may choose from:
A. Major Core Courses
- FIN 466 – International Finance (3)
- INB 442 – International Management (3)
- MKT 432 – International Marketing (3)
B. Major Electives
One of the following:
- INB 394 – International Business Internship Program (1-3)
- INB 480 – Faculty-Led International Business Study Abroad (3)
- INB 481 – International Business Semester Abroad (3)
- Another international experiential learning activity, subject to approval by the international business faculty
C. Track Option
One of the following tracks:
- FIN 363 – Investments (3)
- FIN 463 – Financial Engineering and Risk Management (3)
- MKT 338 – Consumer Behavior (3)
- MKT 435 – New Product Development (3)
- MGT 347 – Managing Projects and Teams (3)
- MGT 449 – Issues in Leadership and Change Management (3)
International Business Career Outlook
UM-Flint International Business students from 2019-2021 have interned at Denso, Sciemetric, Randy Wise U-TT International, Denso, Financial Plus credit Union, 100K Ideas, Neswco Inc., Continental Automotive, Fiat Chrysler, and Robert Bosch. Many students have also had internships during their exchange programs abroad.
UM-Flint SOM alumni are currently employed at a variety of organizations ranging from non-profits, corporations, self-employed, or Fortune 500 companies. International business alumni work at companies such as Ford, General Motors, Dow, United Shore, Quicken Loans, and more.
The top occupations for someone with an International Business degree are:
- Trade Specialist
- Management Analyst
- Budget Analyst
- Business development manager
At UM-Flint, we are proud to have many dedicated advisors who are the experts students can rely upon to guide their educational journey. Explore all the possible pathways for your future, and book an appointment today.
In addition to academic advising, SOM provides extensive career advising services to help you define a clear path for your career. Contact Antonio Riggs at email@example.com or call (810) 237-6680 to schedule your appointment.
Learn More about the Bachelor of Business Administration in International Business
Ready to get started on an exciting pathway to earning your degree in International Business? Discover all the ways you can apply the knowledge you will learn to business positions the world over. Apply today or contact us to learn more.