UM-Flint Clery Compliance

Clery Compliance

A safe campus environment is essential to your success at the University of Michigan-Flint. In compliance with Clery Act, the Department of Public Safety and Security (DPS) and the university track crimes occurring on and near campus and offer that information to the UM-Flint community and the public. Knowledge is power—and with this data, DPS not only fosters a culture of transparency and trust at UM-Flint, but also uses this information to uncover problem areas and learn where to best concentrate campus safety efforts and resources.

Requirements of the Act

  • Annual Security Report & Annual Fire Safety Report provides useful information such as crime statistics for the prior three years, safety tips and policy statements regarding safety and security issues, crime prevention program descriptions, and procedures to be followed in the investigation and prosecution of alleged sex offenses.
  • Daily Crime and Fire Log lists all crimes reported to DPS.
  • Crime Alerts (on- and off-campus) are timely warnings of crimes that may present a threat to the safety of students, faculty or staff.
  • U-M Emergency Alert is an urgent, mass notification system that gives students, faculty and staff timely warnings about major active emergencies on campus.
  • U-M Clery Statistics are the most recent seven years of statistics of crimes that occurred on or near campus or in off-campus U-M facilities.
  • Our Community Matters Rights and Resources Guide is a comprehensive resource guide for U-M students, faculty and staff who may have experienced sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence and/or stalking.
  • Campus Security Authority (CSA) Mandatory Reporting provides links to forms to report incidents.
  • CSA Training Course is available on-line and in-person for those with reporting obligations.

Am I a Campus Security Authority (CSA)?

A Campus Security Authority (CSA) is a school official with significant responsibility for student activities who, therefore, has an obligation to report certain incidents to the Division of Public Safety and Security as mandated by the Clery Act.

CSAs include:

  • University Housing staff
  • Division of Student Life staff
  • Athletics coaches and staff
  • Office of Student Conflict Resolution staff
  • University vice chancellors, deans, directors and department heads
  • Senior human resource directors of Staff HR Services, Academic Human Resources and Michigan Medicine Labor Relations
  • Advisors to recognized student organizations
  • Any U-M faculty or staff traveling with students

CSAs must take the online training course—this will take approximately 30 minutes. Or visit and in-person training session.

If you are a CSA and need to report Clery-reportable crimes or disciplinary referrals:

If you have questions related to the Clery Act or CSA reporting, please email Sgt. Heather Bromley (McDonald), Clery Compliance Coordinator at or call DPS at (810) 762-3333.

CSA Reporting

Campus Security Authority (CSA) Reporting

When a crime is reported to a CSA, first ask the person if they would like to report it to Public Safety. If so, contact Public Safety at (810) 762-3333. If the CSA has firsthand knowledge and confirmation that the reporting party filed a report with UM-Flint Public Safety, then they are not obligated to complete and submit a Campus Security Authority (CSA) Reporting Form.

CSAs are encouraged to report all crimes reported to them, on a timely basis, to Public Safety via a CSA Reporting Form. However, under the Clery Act, only Clery Act qualifying crimes are required to be reported. The CSA Reporting Form is submitted to the Department of Public Safety by notifying DPS at (810) 762-3333 or email submission to CSA must still complete and submit a CSA Reporting Form if the CSA has no firsthand knowledge and confirmation that a report was actually filed.

If the reported crime is made in good faith, meaning that there is reasonable basis for believing that the information is not rumor or hearsay, then the crime is Clery reportable. CSAs, when interacting with the crime reporting party, need to gather incident information that would provide sufficient detail to properly classify the incident. This means CSAs need to document reporting party responses or lack thereof. Reporting party identifying information should only be included in the CSA Reporting Form if the reporting party is willing to provide same (see Anonymous Reporting below). CSAs should not investigate the crime or attempt to determine whether a crime, in fact, took place. When in doubt, a CSA Reporting Form should be completed and submitted!


Anonymous Reporting: While there is no specific mechanism to receive anonymous reports within the UM-Flint Department of Public Safety, victims can report crimes on a voluntary, confidential basis through Campus Security Authorities. University of Michigan-Flint Department of Public Safety permits victims or witnesses to report crimes to CSAs on a voluntary, anonymous basis (and includes such anonymous reports in reported Annual Security Report crime totals) but encourages individuals who report crime to provide identifying information.

In addition, the Contact Us link on the Public Safety web page is available for anyone to communicate with the Department of Public Safety regarding any matter.

CSA Reporting Tips

CSA Reporting Tips

  • If the reported incident constitutes a threat to the safety of the campus community the CSA shall immediately call 911. A CSA Reporting Form shall be completed and submitted when it is safe to do so. 
  • Confidential and anonymous CSA reports are accepted. However, the reporting party should also be encouraged to report the crime directly to the Department of Public Safety. 
  • While second hand (third party) reports may be inherently unreliable and are difficult to verify, such reports shall also be accepted. The potential for duplication of reported incidents shall not be a factor in determining whether or not a report is taken. 


The following is a sample of what you can tell a reporting party who comes to you to report a crime:

"As part of my position on campus, I am a federally mandated crime reporter for the University. I am required to report of this incident to Public Safety for data gathering. If you request confidentiality, the CSA Reporting Form will not include your name, or that of any other involved individuals. My report will contain only the information you provide. Do you have any questions? Would you like to help me fill it out?"

Contact the Clery Compliance Coordinator

Clery Compliance Coordinator
Heather Bromley (McDonald) | Executive Sergeant
Desk (810) 237-6512 | Dispatch (810) 762-3333 |
102 Hubbard Building | 602 Mill Street | Flint, MI  48503-1950