The University of Michigan-Flint is a full partner in the Flint Promise Scholarship Program. This program was established to assist students in the designated Promise Zone in Flint. This includes students who are residents of the city of Flint and graduate from city of Flint high schools that fall within the Promise Zone. Students who receive a GED in the city of Flint in or after 2018 are also eligible.
Amount of the Award
Flint Promise is a “last-dollar” scholarship, which means it covers the remaining balance of college tuition, books and mandatory fees after grants and other scholarships are received. The scholarship is pro-rated based on the number of years a student resides in Flint and attends an eligible high school. Through Flint Promise, students who qualify for a scholarship will be able to attend college at minimal or no cost to them. More information about pro-rated amounts can be found here.
Students must be a:
- Resident of the city of Flint from the 9th through the 12th grades (please see pro-rated information above).
- High school senior who attends all four years and graduates from any Flint high school: Flint Public Schools, charter, private, parochial, or home school. A student can attend more than one city of Flint high school and still be eligible.
- U.S. Citizenship or permanent resident status and state of Michigan residency (as defined by the University of Michigan)
Students must also:
- Apply for admission at UM-Flint
- Graduate high school with a 1.8 GPA or higher and meet UM-Flint Admissions criteria
- Be age 24 or younger
- Apply for federal financial aid by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This form may be filed electronically at www.fafsa.gov.
- Enroll in at least 24 credits per academic year at UM-Flint
- Meet with Success Coach on a regular basis (coach will be assigned by FGCC/GCF)
- Achieve minimum academic standards required for receiving financial aid at UM-Flint, including GPA and successful completion of course (credits attemped) at UM-Flint
- Complete the FAFSA annually, using UM-Flint's federal code: 002327
Flint and Genesee Chamber of Commerce
519 S. Saginaw St., Suite 200
Flint, MI 48451