First-Year International Students

You’re Ready to Be a Wolverine!

Now is the time to become part of the University of Michigan by attending the University of Michigan-Flint. We will be with you every step of the way as you start to plan your future.

Paper Icon

Apply Now

There are a variety of options for you to apply for admission. In addition to our new simplified online application (no fee required), incoming first-year students have the option of applying through the Common Application.

Next Steps

Step 1: Apply Online

Submit your online application as soon as possible to secure your spot. There’s no fee, and you should receive a response within two to four weeks of receiving your documents.

Step 2: Submit Required Documents

Complete and upload the original or attested copies of the documents listed below using iService. Instructions for logging in to iService are emailed to you within 48 hours of processing your application.

Official Transcripts
A transcript is a record of a student’s history and performance at a particular academic institution. First-year applicants must have their official high school/secondary school transcripts submitted to UM-Flint. If the transcript is not already in English, it must be accompanied by an official translation (students cannot do their own translations).

Some countries issue only one original transcript, exam result, or degree certificate. If this applies to you, request an attested document from the institution. Then, send a photocopy of the document (never the original) to the institution that originally issued it. They will verify the photocopy against their records, place the institutional stamp or seal on the photocopy (thereby attesting to its accuracy), put the attested copy into an institutional envelope, and affix their stamp or seal over the envelope closure. The issuing institution can mail the attested copy directly to the International Admissions or you may deliver the unopened envelope to the office in person.

Please note that all documents submitted to UM-Flint become the property of UM-Flint and cannot be photocopied or returned.

Proof of English Proficiency
First-year applicants from countries or regions in which English is not the primary language of instruction are required to demonstrate English proficiency in order to be admitted to the University of Michigan-Flint.

ACT20 (English)
ELSCertificate of Completion (ELS Level 112)
IELTS (Academic)6.0 overall band
iTep AcademicLevel 3.5 or higher
MLC (Michigan Language Center)Advanced Star 1
Pearson PTE Academic46
SATSAT Reading: 480
TOEFL61 (Internet Based)
500 (Paper Based)
TOEFL Essentials6.5
  • First-Year students who have attended four years in a U.S. high school with grades of “C”/2.0 or better in all English classes; Must submit official transcripts to verify.
  • UM-Flint’s TOEFL institution code is 1853
  • All English proficiency scores can be submitted via iService except Duolingo.
  • Applicants who are citizens of or who completed their previous education in an English proficiency-exempt country may not be required to submit additional proof of English proficiency.

Copy of Valid Passport
International students (F-1 status) are required to have a current, official passport from their country of origin to enter the United States and to attend UM-Flint.

Step 3: Review Your Scholarship Options and Submit Your Affidavit of Financial Support

The First-Year Merit Scholarship Program offers a wide range of Merit Scholarships for incoming students. Your application to the university is your scholarship application. Admitted students are considered for Merit Scholarships based on their ACT/SAT scores and GPA.

We can accept scores as official in these ways: test scores sent electronically from ACT/SAT or included on an official transcript.

Please note ACT/SAT test scores are not required for admission. Students who don’t have a test score may be eligible to receive the First-Year Merit Scholarship based on their incoming GPA. Submitting ACT/SAT may qualify students for additional scholarship funding. To be considered official, scores must be sent directly from ACT or College Board.

Proof of Financial Support
You’ll be asked to complete an affidavit showing proof of financial support. This document can be accessed through iService, and is required to secure an I-20 required for F-1 status. The affidavit provides satisfactory evidence that you have adequate funds to support your academic pursuits at UM-Flint. For more information on tuition and fees for international students please click here.

Acceptable sources of funding include:

  • A bank statement including a current balance. Funds must be held in a checking account, savings account, or certificate of deposit (CD). All accounts must be in the name of the student or the student’s sponsor. For sponsor funds to be counted toward the I-20 requirement, the sponsor must sign the Financial Affidavit of Support. Statements must be no more than six months old at the time of submission.
  • Approved loan documents including the total amount approved.
  • If you have been offered a scholarship, grant, assistantship, or other funding through the University of Michigan-Flint, please submit the offer letter if available. All university funding will be verified with the department providing that funding.

Students may prove sufficient funding using multiple sources. For instance, you may submit a bank statement and a loan document equaling the total required amount. In order for an I-20 to be issued, you must provide proof of sufficient funding to cover the estimated international expenses for one year of study. Students with dependents accompanying them in the United States must also prove sufficient funding to cover the estimated expenses for each dependent.

Unacceptable sources of funding include:

  • Stocks, bonds, and other securities
  • Corporate bank accounts or other accounts not in the name of the student or their sponsor (exceptions may be made if the student is being sponsored by an organization).
  • Real estate or other property
  • Loan applications or pre-approval documents
  • Retirement funds, insurance policies, or other non-liquid assets

Step 4: Applying for Housing

Admitted students may complete the housing application and sign their housing contract online.


Contact International Admissions +1.810.762.3300 or email [email protected].

Important Dates & Deadlines

December 1 (Winter Start Date)

I-20 Form (issue deadline)

February 1

Priority Housing Application Deadline

August 1 (Fall Start Date)

I-20 Form (issue deadline)

Go Blue Guarantee

Free Tuition with the Go Blue Guarantee!

UM-Flint students are automatically considered, upon admission, for the Go Blue Guarantee, a historic program offering free tuition for high-achieving, in-state undergraduates from lower-income households. Learn more about the Go Blue Guarantee to see if you qualify and how affordable a Michigan degree can be.

Annual Security & Fire Safety Notice
The University of Michigan-Flint’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report (ASR-AFSR) is available online at The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report includes Clery Act crime and fire statistics for the preceding three years for locations owned and or controlled by UM-Flint, the required policy disclosure statements and other important safety-related information. A paper copy of the ASR-AFSR is available on request made to Department of Public Safety by calling 810-762-3330, by email to [email protected] or in person at DPS at the Hubbard Building at 602 Mill Street; Flint, MI 48502.