Get a Head Start. And Be College-Ready.

The University of Michigan-Flint is a leader in dual enrollment programs for high school students in Michigan. Dual Enrollment programs at UM-Flint get you ready for college coursework, help you transition to college life, and build your academic skills and confidence. As part of a Dual Enrollment program, you’ll have the opportunity to take college courses taught by dedicated UM-Flint faculty, while you’re still in high school. It’s a great way to get a head start on your educational goals.

If you’re a high school student who plans to attend the university, find out if your school offers a Dual Enrollment program with UM-Flint.

UM-Flint offers four pathways for high schools.

Standard Dual Enrollment

Standard dual enrollment is an excellent opportunity for students from local schools to expand their high school experience with more challenging, college-level courses. Outstanding high school students (with GPAs of 3.2 or higher) may enroll in UM-Flint for part-time study while finishing their high school graduation requirements.

The next steps for standard dual enrollment are:

  • Check with your high school counselor to see if your school participates in the program, and whether you’re eligible for tuition reimbursement through your high school (not required to participate).
  • Work with your counselor to plan the right college courses for you.
  • Complete the application, indicating “Dual Enrollee” as your option and submit the Supplemental Document to your high school counselor along with your official transcripts.
  • The Office of Undergraduate Admission will notify you if you have been accepted.
  • If you register for Math 111 or English 111, contact the Student Success Center to schedule an appointment.
  • Your student ID and parking pass will be issued to you the first week of classes.
  • After your first semester, your grades will be sent to your high school and will become part of your college record.
  • Complete an application for each semester you plan to participate in dual enrollment.
  • Apply to UM-Flint as a first-time student during your senior year of high school.

Dual Enrollment Educational Partnerships (DEEP)

Created in collaboration with partnering school systems, DEEP programs are cohort-style dual enrollment programs that range from 6 to 14 credit hours over an academic year. Students must be enrolled at a partnering school in order to participate in a DEEP program. 

Students apply for DEEP programs with the coordination of their high school guidance office. Learn more and view a complete list of DEEP programs and schools.

Genesee Early College (GEC)

The GEC is an intensive five-year high school program that combines the best elements of the high school and early university experience. Located on campus at UM-Flint, students get a sense of life on a college campus years before they enroll. Students must presently be enrolled as GEC high school students in order to dual enroll through this option. Learn more about the Genesee Early College.

Grand Blanc Early College (GBEC)

The GBEC is an intensive three-year high school program for students from Grand Blanc Community Schools designed to introduce them to the early university experience. Students must work with their high school counselor to apply for this program. Learn more about the Grand Blanc Early College.

Annual Security & Fire Safety Notice
The University of Michigan-Flint’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report (ASR-AFSR) is available online at The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report includes Clery Act crime and fire statistics for the preceding three years for locations owned and or controlled by UM-Flint, the required policy disclosure statements and other important safety-related information. A paper copy of the ASR-AFSR is available on request made to Department of Public Safety by calling 810-762-3330, by email to [email protected] or in person at DPS at the Hubbard Building at 602 Mill Street; Flint, MI 48502.